Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

please add query to find ideas in ideas

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
It's too difficult to find improvement requests to vote on

Tagged:

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    There are currently two:

or right at the top of the category here:

Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    thanks, I guess cat=24 is IR.

But what if you wanted to find one?

are there any secrets to finding a specific IR? Adding quotes narrows the search to all words, but there's no variant of the above search that allows me to find this IR.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited November 2018
    @billy2 What specifically are you looking for?  This search uses keywords. How are you looking to find an IR.  What info do you have?  I took this out of the voting site as it is not something that seems to be a feature we need to vote on.  
  • gkuhnsgkuhns Member, csevp Posts: 36 PRO
    I would like to vote on this for a feature  :) It is really difficult to figure out if the feature you want to request has already been submitted or not.
    @gkuhns It is best to have a discussion since I would be implementing something here to allow it to happen.  I am not clear on what is hard to find. I added a dupe check when you submit a new request.  I have tried to keep the requests unique here but I am not sure what I am trying to fix with nearly 1000 requests here.

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited December 2018
    Lou, I can't imagine managing these requests. 

Reading a forum post about something that I also want, then, trying to find it so I can vote on it, it's hard. We're asked to vote on this stuff, but I can't find it to vote on it. Possibly I need to read the instructions. 

One thing that would help, when someone has a discussion, can we create a link to IR. I click on the link, read about it, and vote it up? How come in forums people don't add links to the IR?

Finding things by searching titles seems difficult. Possibly assign IR numbers so I can search for ir 45632. This seems like it would be easier search by number vs. by title.

This isn't urgent, it just seems like it could be better.

@lougallo The fact that there are nearly 1,000 requests makes it difficult to find a request that may match. Especially for people like me, who are not already familiar with the requests or with the terminology that others may use to describe the problem or feature they are requesting. Categorizing them may help both placing the request and with finding something else that may apply.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited December 2018
    Dunno if it helps but I've stopped searching for existing IR's as that seems a bit hit and miss. Instead I'll start creating a new one but take note of any of the suggestions for existing topics that it shows you as you create the new topic title. If there is a good match then abandon the new one and vote for the existing, if not then continue with making the new one.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    I think very simple/broad categories or tags would be very helpful.

Sketch
    Part Studio
    Assembly
    Drawing
    Data
    User Interface

The dedupe feature is nice but the IRs are a noodle soup to browse.