Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape "Partners" and the Onshape APIs

pete_15pete_15 Member Posts: 4
Hello - I've been told that our company is now a 'partner' of Onshape - I understand that it is because our CAM product can import the file formats that Onshape can export to.
That's great...but what about the possibility of a more direct integration.
What APIs are available and how can I start learning about them?
Thanks in advance,
Pete
Tagged:

Answers

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    I will get someone to get in touch with you.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    Pete

May I ask which of our partner companies you are with?

Jon
  • onshaperonshaper Member, Mentor Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    I find this thread hilarious. Can't wait to see what happens!
    I'm done with stand-alone CAD/CAM. I use Fusion now because the price is right, but I really hope Onshape works out a better solution. HSM is so odd.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    In my opinion cam should be in it's own menu or show/hide from settings. I'm in the business to use cam but still I don't feel the need.
    Here's why:
    - Our cnc machines have a lot of special drills inside and most of cams try to create also special holes with a router (reason might be that I haven't ever seen european woodworking machines listed in machines inside cam)
    - We have currently just 3 and 4ax machines, programming is way faster than modeling with any cad.
    - I like to use local/global/environmental variables of the cnc machines for easy program update and parametric behavior.
    - I like to create cnc programs with 'design intent' so that other users (or me after a year) can see why things are the way they are (for example visible equations in hole placement). 
    - I'm sometimes even importing dxf from cnc to cad for fast & accurate models
    - For milling complex shapes I can just import dxf and set correct tool and depth in 30 sec.

I'm sure all these things can be worked out with some advanced settings in perfect cam but for my simple 3 or 4 ax machining it's just faster to create programs with integrated editors.

-1 for integrated 'always on your face' CAM (don't shoot me, it's just my opinion .. at the moment)
    //rami
    edited May 2015
    Integrated means it is built into the program and your toolpaths update when you change your geometry. It doesn't mean that your CAM tools are in your face all the time. :)

I can't speak to conversational CNC as I have never used it. I also like to use parameter driven gcode files, but these things don't have anything to do with this thread!
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @Onshaper
    Yes, I understand what integration means, it's just that good and deep integration goes into RMB menus and appears in many stages of design process. What I ment is not to think cam is the only output for manufactured models.

We might get into interesting conversation as we are both into machining stuff though you are (if I understood correctly) cam/gcode man and I have seen gcode only couple of times (during 20 years) using purely simple dialog-wizard based cad / converters built in cnc software.
    I'm not the one who vote you down since I'm wide open for new ideas and like to hear other approach than my own.

Have you tried Top solid? (I haven't, just would like to know if it's any good)
    //rami
    edited May 2015
    I'm not familiar with top solid. :) If I understand you, you're talking about conversational CNC which I would like to try but haven't had the chance.

I imagine CAM in Onshape being another tab. In the same way that an assembly has a unique tool set when compared to a Part Studio, a CAM Setup would be unique as well. :) And since it's integrated it would be able to link geometry to update toolpaths if you say change a hole from 1" to 1.5"