Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheet Metal Conical Section

kent_hendersonkent_henderson Member Posts: 69 PRO
Take a look at the 2 furthest to the right parts studios called "Electrode drip chute 3 on 3" and "Electrode drip chute 3 on 4.75". I attacked both of these the same way but I can't convert the 3 on 4.75 to a sheet metal part. Any ideas?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d27682d4069e63fc26352d83/w/d17cc0f942eadeb4311929d9/e/e2b87ca9ad40ac1d15b249be

Comments

• kent_hendersonkent_henderson Member Posts: 69 PRO
    I see that each of the facets now have the very slightest twist to each except the middle facet. So I see why I can't turn this into sheet metal. Any ideas on a work around? I'm old and can still layout by hand or with 2D cad if I have to. I'd sure like to be more techie about a solution if I can.

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    to have a planar faces of your faceted surface you must define your cone as loft surface from a linearized profile to the vertex, and then split the desired shape from the lofted surface
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    Here I've implemented Konstantin's recommendation 
  • kent_hendersonkent_henderson Member Posts: 69 PRO
    Lana and Konstantin,

Thank you so much for that advice and your example. That's extremely helpful. I love this forum. I usually post when I'm pretty sure I'm defeated. Someone seems to always come to the rescue.

Thanks again,
    Kent
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    You can also use this faceted loft feature I made:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/896f030ae2c1ef8df7e07d34

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100