Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Solidworks "Future Version" Issue

chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
A question.  For years now, I have always used the latest version of SW.  However, I face the perennial problem of wanting to share or collaborate my parts with SW users with older versions, but coming up against the brick wall of future versions at the receiving end. So I am forced to send them a step or parasolid file, which loses all of the "features".  My question is "If I import my SW15 part to OS, translate to OS format, then re-translate to SW format, what version of SW is used?"  In other words, can my recipients open the file in earlier versions of SW and see all the features? 

Comments

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    This is an important issue for me, as well. Some of my clients are perfectly happy with Sldwks versions as far back as 2007.
    I don't think there's any realistic prospect of them being able to see features, regardless of the version (for that, they can go to Onshape) but at least they need to be able to open the files in Sldwks, as a dumb solid. Possibly a suitably early version parasolid would be an acceptable alternative, for me.
  • moengineeringmoengineering Member Posts: 23
    Hello @Chris Humphris 

have a look at the latest recorded webinar, there you can find your scenario. Here is the Link: Working Alongside Your Existing CAD System

As I remember another post (sorry, can't find it right now) it is not possible to implement the features if you come back from Onshape to SW.

best regards
    martin
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    *clip*
      My question is "If I import my SW15 part to OS, translate to OS format, then re-translate to SW format, what version of SW is used?"  In other words, can my recipients open the file in earlier versions of SW and see all the features? 
    See another thread that answers to your question: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/730/parasolid-translate
    //rami
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited May 2015
    @Chris Humphris  Currently we do SW2011 as the export. So if you round-trip a SolidWorks 2015 file -> Onshape -> SolidWorks, a user running SW 2011 or newer would be able to open it.  Remember we do not create features so they can open it as a dumb solid.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks.  That clears it up for me.  So I now know that my customers using SW11 or later, can open my translated files. Regards Chris Humphris
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Due to browser issues unconnected with Onshape, I cannot presently run OnS CAD.

Could you please raise a ticket for an earlier (optional) parasolid version export, suitable for (say) Solidworks 2007 to open?