Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Parasolid Translate

_Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
Seeing that Onshape defaults to parasolid for translate and I've been lead to believe that step was more stable I thought that I should ask here if parasolid files are recommended within Onshape.

Thanks
Dave

Comments

• kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Within Onshape just copy and paste.
    going from Onshape to other Parasolid based modellers (SolidWorks, SolidEdge, NX, VectorWorks etc) use Parasolid.
    going to non parasolid based modellers (Inventor, Creo, etc) used STEP.
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Kevin Thanks, I'm transferring to Solidworks for drawing and also to Mastercam for CNC machining. I presume that parasolid would be best for both then.

Dave
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @Dave_Petit @Kevin Quigley Shouldn't usign the native file format to export into Solidworks be the best solution? Or is there some problem with the native SW file export?
    I'm asking because I don't have SW but I need to collaborate with SW users frequently.
    //rami
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    3dcad said:
    @Dave_Petit @Kevin Quigley Shouldn't usign the native file format to export into Solidworks be the best solution? Or is there some problem with the native SW file export?
    I'm asking because I don't have SW but I need to collaborate with SW users frequently.
    The .x_t is a file containing the raw geometry with no history and I think some additional meta-data like part color.  As SolidWorks is a Parasolid based modeler, a .sldprt file is essentially the data from the .x_t with some additional data such as the parametric history.  As we have no way of mapping our features to those of SolidWorks, the file that is output is essentially the raw geometry in a .sldprt file.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @JakeRamsley @3dcad. I'm using the latest version of Mastercam and although Mastercam is capable of opening Solidworks files for some reason it will not open a solidworks file created by Onshape.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    @JakeRamsley @3dcad. I'm using the latest version of Mastercam and although Mastercam is capable of opening Solidworks files for some reason it will not open a solidworks file created by Onshape.
    The solidworks file that we translate to is version 2011.  I am not sure why Mastercam can't open the file.  Doing a quick google search found other users running into an issue with 2011 solid part files, but they were back in 2011.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com