Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Move Sketch to New Plane

famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
I've modeled a sink in the z=0 plane. 

After finishing modeling, I see that I maybe should have modeled it in z=900mm plane, so that when I import in ArchiCAD, the sink is at the correct height.

Any way to just move everything and all subsequent operations? What's the best way here?;)
Tagged:

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Can you use the transform feature with translate XYZ?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    In some cases simply editing the sketch and clearing the plane referenced will do the trick. In some cases the axis might flip but you can use transform entities when you edit the sketch.  But if there is much more than a sketch then transform will do the trick. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    My preference is always to fix the model rather than use Transform - makes models easier to debug later. Create an offset plane and drag it before your sketch in the Feature List. Then edit the sketch and change the reference plane. This is no guarantee that later features will regenerate correctly, depends on how they were modelled.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    My preference is always to fix the model rather than use Transform - makes models easier to debug later. Create an offset plane and drag it before your sketch in the Feature List. Then edit the sketch and change the reference plane. This is no guarantee that later features will regenerate correctly, depends on how they were modelled.
    I'm trying to do a simple test to make that work, but I fail;)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e97c0e9237c9737465501800/w/c208f56a6a1535670c9212de/e/04906193f3241e24d62e3c32

1. create a sketch using the RIGHT plane
    2. create a plane which is offset to the RIGHT plane
    3. move the new offset plane before it in the feature list
    4. change the plane in the sketch to be this new plane

I can't make this simple test work;)
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Worked ok for me. Just delete the original plane and replace it with the new one. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    Thanks, now it worked.

What doesn't work is this: 

change the plane of the sketch first and then move the plane before the sketch in the features list. 

I thought I moved it first, but guess not; thanks

Anyways, it should also work by moving it after, so that's a little weird, cause when I move the plane before it, it should be able to regenerate, unless this sequence is registered somewhere.
    The feature list is regenerated in order from top to bottom. If the plane is after the sketch, it does not exist as far as the sketch is concerned. You can only reference features before the current feature/sketch you are editing. 
    NeilCooke said:
    The feature list is regenerated in order from top to bottom. If the plane is after the sketch, it does not exist as far as the sketch is concerned. You can only reference features before the current feature/sketch you are editing. 
    Sure, but I did this: 

..instead of this:

..though, both should work, cause the end result is the same, unless this sequence is registered somewhere?
    edited January 2019
    Please refer to my last comment for the answer to your question! Your second list of actions is the only one that will work. 
    I think we're talking past eachother. This was you reply:

"The feature list is regenerated in order from top to bottom. If the plane is after the sketch, it does not exist as far as the sketch is concerned. You can only reference features before the current feature/sketch you are editing. "

The first thing you said was:

"The feature list is regenerated in order from top to bottom"

We agree on this

Then you said:

" If the plane is after the sketch, it does not exist as far as the sketch is concerned."

We agree on this aswell and both list of actions would have this condition that the plane is after the sketch. It might not be after the sketch before all steps has been taken, but after both list of actions are done, the plane would be positioned before the sketch. 

Then you said:

"
    You can only reference features before the current feature/sketch you are editing."

This is basically the same as the last line. 

I'm trying to understand, not trying to be difficult;)

They way I see it, they both end up with the plane being in front of the sketch, but the sequence is different. In this case, the actual sequence is recorded, but not visible to us. 

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @famadorian

Chances are your selection isn't being registered in the first set of steps.  In your first set of steps, you should not be able to do step 3 at all, because if you go to edit the sketch, the offset plane should not exist, and should not be selectable.  You can turn on "final" mode if you want to see the plane, but the plane will still not be selectable (because it is being built after the sketch).  Maybe there is some misunderstanding about what is actually in happening in your first set of steps?

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team