Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Section View Grab Handle / Triad improvements

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
Hi folks.

I'm a touch frustrated with the grab handles for a section view in a PS.

(a) If zoomed in then the handle is often off the screen.

(b) If viewing normal to the section plane then we can't see the handle to push/pull the section, so have to rotate the view away from normal and then back again.

Just in passing, I presumed I was missing something so tried looking at the help.  a search of "section view" returned 38 hits but I couldn't see anything on PS section veiws other than stating that it was an option.

Other features of the section view, like snapping to the center of a circle are wonderful so with a few tweaks it'd be perfect.

Cheers,

Owen S.
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @owen_sparks Today we place the triad in the center of the selected face.  However once a section is on, you can zoom in and we place the triad where you click to re-enable drag.  I am assuming you are zoomed in on a face and the face centroid is off screen and then when you enable, you have to zoom out?

On the second situation where you are normal to the face, you will see the dot,  Is this a common situation?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Hi @lougallo
    lougallo said:
    ...we place the triad in the center of the selected face.  However once a section is on, you can zoom in and we place the triad where you click to re-enable drag.  I am assuming you are zoomed in on a face and the face centroid is off screen and then when you enable, you have to zoom out?
    Exactly so.  I had no idea you could click on the face section when zoomed in to make the triad reappear on screen!!!  For three years I've been setting a section view, zooming in to see what I want, zooming out to move section further along, zooming in to see the close up.  Doh.  Not sure if that's a me thing or a discoverability thing, but at least the functionality is there so I'm happy.  Thank you!

lougallo said:
    On the second situation where you are normal to the face, you will see the dot,  Is this a common situation?
    I'll often want to sweep down a part when in section view to check wall thickness for example.  I'll do this normal to the face as rotating the part will skew the view of the thickness.

I don't know if such things are available but "shift-mouse wheel" might be nice to sweep down a section view.

Thanks for your time,
    Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @owen_sparks
    You can drag the arrow, then view normal to the section view, then scroll in the text box that comes up
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    Ah ha, much obliged.
    HWM-Water Ltd