Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Unshape has become unresponsive

nis_wegmannnis_wegmann Member Posts: 3
Hi,

Recently, when working on a knife, Onshape has become completely unresponsive. I believe that it is due to a part I have made that is difficult to compute. However, I can't even open the part and roll back the features. The knife is publicly available here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4fff33554479504ce8f1e9ad/w/736706f2625f93081aa17f07/e/06bfaa1374c79ae0a4ce5b45

Is there a way to force Onshape to stop/pause computations?

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited February 2019
    That is not what I would call too complex. However, I tried opening it Chrome and it took a while. It did open in FireFox quite quickly though (FF has better memory management). After making a copy of the doc it opened in a few seconds (maybe you could try that to see if there is any improvement).

If you are unable to open a document in the future for whatever reason, you can right-click a document on the documents page and select "version and history" and roll it back from there.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • dick_van_der_vaartdick_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 51 PRO
    I made a copy of your document, and it loaded in just seconds, all Part Studio's and Assemblies.
    I am using Chrome on a simple computer with a good internet connection.
    Maybe you you some trouble with your connection or firewall settings.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @nis_wegmann

Please also run the system check and report your results here:
    https://cad.onshape.com/check
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • nis_wegmannnis_wegmann Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2019
    Hi, I managed to suppress the feature shortly after I wrote the post. The offending feature is a knurl pattern in the part named "Handle: D". I've attached a photo. If I enable it and open some of the assemblies that depend on it, sometimes Onshape gets unresponsive for up to several minutes. I can assure you that it is not my browser nor my internet connection. I tested it with Safari and Firefox and I'm quite sure that it is the Onshape server that somehow gets stuck. Besides, I've been using Onshape for months and I never ran into this problem before.

• nis_wegmannnis_wegmann Member Posts: 3
    Anyway, thanks a lot for your quick replies. In the future I will use the method that NeilCooke described to roll back the document.
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    @nis_wegmann

Do you really need the knurl modeled in 3D?
    I created a knurl FeatureScript which splits the cylindrical surface. 
    I can send you the document if you are interested.

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi.

Works OK here with the patterns unsuppressed.

Pattern2 is is the heavy lifting at 10-ish seconds to regen.

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @nis_wegmann, if you're only working on the single part, the pattern probably isn't a big deal. But you mentioned opening assemblies. I'm not certain how Onshape does memory management, but if it's anything like SW, referencing multiple copies of a slow part in an assembly just bogs everything down. That's why the quickest way to induce rage in a design engineer is to use real threads on fasteners (why, McMaster, why!?)
    Anyhow, per @sebastian_glanzner, if you don't really need the knurl, there is no reason to model it. The exceptions being 3D printing, modeling practice, and possibly pretty pictures.
    @ Mahir.  Thanks for the new name.

Purchasing = "Shopping Dept."
    Sales = "***** ********" (Unsuitable for an open forum)
    Marketing = "Pretty Pictures"

I feel some new office door signs coming on...
    O.S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    @ Mahir.  Thanks for the new name.
    Huh? I don’t think I was referring to you, Owen. 
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Your comment inspired a new name for our marketing dept. >:)
    O.S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Ah, gotcha :) You're welcome. No trademark need apply ;)
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    @nis_wegmann
    Check out the Cosmetic Knurl FeatureScript, this can help you to improve the performance:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/11111/new-featurescript-cosmetic-knurl/