Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to clear history?

3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
edited May 2015 in Data management
If I create new model with copy/paste part studio from existing doc to new document and make certain changes, it's all there in history list.
This is good, right - in most cases.

But if original document is made for customer 1 and part studio name is customer1_secret-product and then I take a copy and modify it suitable for customer2.
Then I share a model with customer2 and they look into history - there is line 'Insert tab(s): customer1_secret-product' and each step of changes are there to investigate / reverse..

And same thing if you wan't to make something public to get help and create a copy and make some changes not to share your intellectual property..
Edit: Public documents don't seem to carry history

So how do one clear history and make document non-traceable?
//rami
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @3dcad : the history is there, but only becomes accessible when the other user makes a private copy
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    One possibility is :
    a) make a version and a workspace off it in the customer1 document,
    b) re-name all elements, make workspace copy,
    c) delete the workspace in original document.
    Change history is accessible only from workspace, if workspace is not there, customer1 would not see history of renaming. 
  • onshaperonshaper Member, Mentor Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    I sug
    I suggest exporting, importing, translating.

But I wouldn't worry about people seeing how you drew it. Just about anyone who is decent at CAD can figure out how to draw a part. The critical bit is the geometry and dimensions and especially tolerances. Luckily, CAD files usually don't have tolerancing data!
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @3dcad : the history is there, but only becomes accessible when the other user makes a private copy
    Are you sure? I made a copy of public document and history has only 1 line: Created document.
    //rami

Onshaper said:
    I suggest exporting, importing, translating.
    Can't do, I need feature tree as I'm not big fan of DM tools and modifying is usually changing sketches dimensions and adding/removing some features..  
    //rami
    @lana
    Pretty much workarounds, which needs extra work making multiple copies and renaming..

I would like to see something like 'Copy without history' or 'Use as template' in TAB RMB menu to be able to copy/paste tabs without trace. 
    //rami
    3dcad said:
    Are you sure? I made a copy of public document and history has only 1 line: Created document.
    Sorry, I must have misunderstood your OP: when you talked about the part studio's history, I took it you were referring to the feature list.
    I misunderstood as well.
  • r_paulr_paul Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    SteveHessLouGallo@3dcad
    This is a classic case of a "good" feature having an apparent, "sometimes/occasionally a down side".
    I like the history approach found in Onshape for various reasons. However it must be kept in mind there is a difference (commercially) in doing a job for somebody and training.
    In my experience, I have been contracted to design/model components where the sole intention (of the customer) was to deliberately use that/those models as a tool to learn the complex "how to" techniques & methods in preference to using me to train their people.
    Seems like a pedantic small issue but, for some contractors, it is important to be able to separately manage those two (business) functions.  The work around(s) in Onshape are an option but by being able to remove the (models construction) history, as an inbuilt/selectable function, is an important consideration for the future.
    Many of us like to help others to learn, Onshape and this forum is a testament to that fact ("free" 3D CAD being the most generous component), but for others commercial realities relating to other forms of IP (knowledge) also has its relevance.
    For my purposes, being able to save as parasolid into a separate document (which we can currently do) in order to defeature (which I quite often need to do),  is a plenty good-enough solution, with the added benefit of simplicity.

To me (but there's every chance I'm missing something) this hardly merits the slightly disreputable label of a "workaround".

I would personally always want the original model, with features intact, so an "in-place defeaturing" would not be useful to me, but I'd be interested to be persuaded how the added complexity of a solution along those lines would meet some specific needs.
  • walter_steffewalter_steffe Member Posts: 3
    In my opinion an other reason to clean the hystory (apart of hiding it to some people/customers) is to clean/remove wrong steps in the design process.

It may happen that the designer makes an undesired operation just because it doesn't know very well the CAD tool.

In this case he will probably use an "undo" or a "restore" command  to correct the mistake.
    It does'nt any way make any sense to have all these missteps permanently registered in the hystory list.

The problem could be solved by providing a command that deletes all the actions following the restored configuration. It would be a simple way to clean the cluttered hystory list.

walter

• gzgz Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Need the equivalent if git's "squash", which is kind of like copying a workspace I suppose.  But that is really, really clunky.
  • dan_butlerdan_butler Member Posts: 1
    I would love to clear the history, it stores a lot of changes in sketches which can take a lot of space.
    I have a file that copied few times more complex sketch, I did many time removing it and adding - moving, etc. each time the file size rose very fast and it grew above the private free limit 100MB.
    Clearing cache would allow private hobbyist to have files smaller then 100MB, specially those that learn to use onshape and want to erase mistakes that can take a lot of file size. 

I have the same problem. I have one part which I have made many changes as I was learning the tool (on top of needing to restore previous due to software lock-up issues) and I am pushing 100MB with basically a cylinder with two helix based features
  • rkagererrkagerer Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2016
    Still learning OnShape here, but my initial thoughts are that pruning of version history is badly needed, if for no other reason than to reduce clutter shown to the user.  I often use the feature to do quick and dirty checkpoints as a way of saving progress before embarking on risky, wholesale changes to my model.  Once I've settled on an approach, I'd like to be able to clean up the old temporary checkpoints which are no longer needed (while keeping others I may still want to maintain).

If an intended use case of the version feature is to provide a lightweight manner for creating history checkpoints, it seems silly that those checkpoints would be permanent (i.e. "heavyweight").  It makes the feature a little less friendly from a user's perspective, as they now might pause and think "Jeesh, every time I hit this button it creates more garbage in my history I can't clean up.  Do I really need a checkpoint here?"

My expectation would be to allow version pruning so long as you aren't deleting one that's been published to the wild.
  • milly_delevingnemilly_delevingne Member Posts: 1

OPTIONS command's OPEN/SAVE tab and set the File Open Recently Used Files list to zero perhaps?