Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is it possible to flip or mirror an imported image?

prem_hall603prem_hall603 Member Posts: 2 EDU
Hi, So I'm working on an RC touring car, Specifically the BMW E30 model. I want to model the shell on the car and tried to flip an image of multiple perspectives of the model. I want to know if it'd be possible to change the view of the car?

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    No, you’ll have to edit it in an image editing program first. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    thor_zweegersthor_zweegers Member Posts: 2
    Is this still a thing? I can't figure it out and can't imagine this hasn't been fixed in an update in the last 4 years
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Is this still a thing? I can't figure it out and can't imagine this hasn't been fixed in an update in the last 4 years
    I don't think it's been changed, but works well enough for me as-is. Are you familiar with sketching on implicit mate connectors? You can flip those, which will flip your image.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 669 PRO
    Why wouldn't you simply do it in any photo editing app? I don't see that as a CAD core competency function. A picture is generally used as a visual reference to make lines/curves in cad, then never used again.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,514 PRO
    edited September 2023
    @thor_zweegers,

The image tool is fairly basic so better to "prep" your picture in an external tool as you probably need to crop it as well before importing...

The "Image" Featurescript is an alternative that provides other functionality as well to help with sizing (and you can flip the MC easily):
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f7a45d78c374497d37c1d2cb/v/a9e78475a009e142f2ebb3d1/e/557019cd8b843cc475681faf