Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape Graphics

sean_blanchardsean_blanchard Member, User Group Leader Posts: 49 ✭✭✭
I've been a CAD user for 17 years. I've had the pleasure of using several CAD packages (i.e. Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor, Fusion 360, NX, Creo Parametrics etc.). I wanted to know if Onshape has any plans on updating their 3D Modeling Environment graphics (Comparable with Solidworks, Fusion 360, Autodesk Inventor)? The aforementioned CAD platforms has the ability to add reflections, shadows (ambient, ground etc.), photo-realistic displays.

Solidworks 2019

Fusion 360

Autodesk Inventor

I personally believe if Onshape had comparable graphics, it would propel the Onshape brand further.

Comments

• michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 110 PRO
    Renderings are available by some of the partners in the app store currently.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I don't see a great benefit to have 'poor' rendering inside cad. Adding a drop shadow / reflect won't help in designing better products and it is not good enough to be a product image. 
    If there was rendering workspace inside Onshape, it needs to be comparable to Keyshot etc. Or that should be where it's aiming at least.

That would be totally awesome to use cloud power and live model for render!
    //rami
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a little conflicted on this topic. How nice a model looks definitely has an impact on how a design is perceived, especially for people detached from the design process, such as managers, customers, sales team, etc. So, I think there is real value in quickly being able to add texture, shading, shadows, and other features to better communicate what the end product will look like.

On the other hand, I think there are many other things that I would place higher in priority. I would rather have more drawings development and refinement of release management before better graphic rendering, since I can use a 3rd party tool if really needed. But, I'll also agree that better graphics would be nice to have sometime down the road.
  • shaun_singhshaun_singh OS Professional Posts: 22 PRO
    Maybe this could be added as part of the tessellation settings if it was to be implemented.

I would rather have the current graphics to support speed for design purposes, so I wouldn't want these added as a default setting  - but can appreciate its use.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited February 2019
    I would begin with separate workspace for render, it needs tools that are not needed while designing and I would think render rather a view than always on feature..

And if we had such, I would probably keep it in another window and work with model on simplified graphics (current).

Similar approach could be applied for exploded view..
    //rami
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Onshape is all about removing the things you don't need and focusing on the model. I prefer the CAD model in a white workspace and when working in other CAD try to turn all those shadows and reflections, etc off. I think if you compare the pure model render, Onshape comes out looking better than others but that may be just personal preference.  A drop shadow may be a nice option to have but nothing to fancy as for the photorealism you switch to an alternative app.  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    The ability to color faces (and maybe even apply bitmap textures) would go a LONG way to improving the appearance of models for screen captures / quick communication etc.without the overhead / distraction of reflections etc.

I know it's got to be on the roadmap, and hope it's coming sometime soon.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Onshape is all about removing the things you don't need and focusing on the model. I prefer the CAD model in a white workspace and when working in other CAD try to turn all those shadows and reflections, etc off. I think if you compare the pure model render, Onshape comes out looking better than others but that may be just personal preference.  A drop shadow may be a nice option to have but nothing to fancy as for the photorealism you switch to an alternative app.  
    Agreed, on top of that, Onshape already has a pretty soft look that is lightning fast to rotate.   You start adding more pretties then all you do is slow down. Why mess with a good thing? When you need it pretty, then you use a render app.  The rest of the time the model should worry more on performance.
  • Markku_LMarkku_L Member Posts: 32 PRO
    First thing I always do with fresh install of SOL****RKS is to turn off totally unrealistic "shadows" and "realview". So, if something should be added, it should look realistic and have an fast way to set on and off. 
    br
    Markku
    www.sloworks.fi
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    @Markku_L exactly