Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Allow viewing of model after timeout

MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
I would like to still be able to view my model (and FeatureScript) after Onshape loses connection, only refreshing if I need to edit.
mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
IR for AS/NZS 1100
Tagged:

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    :+1:
    If you could maintain the possibility to take measures it would be perfect - similar to view only. The docs that tend to timeout are usually opened only for reference and it's annoying to 'wake up' bunch of stuff every hour or so..
    //rami
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @MBartlett21 This is not something that fits the security model of Onshape.  If you have disconnected it could be for a number of reasons.  Server connectivity is how we know if you still indeed have access.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @lougallo
    One use case of this is viewing the Onshape STD document.
    I often have it open in the background so I can see how functions work and build my feature using them
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    I would like to use stronger security measure like two-factor auth. as the more we rely on Onshape the more security we need to avoid someone hijacking our account just to claim money or so.. But it would hurt the workflow as daily sign-in count can easily go over 5.

What I would like to have is some piece of software in company computers or use company static ip as one measure of security. I'm not smart enough in this area, but as a user I wan't easy access from work but could use two-factor when out of office. Same with timeouts, I would like to keep connection alive from office during workhours otherwise it's ok as it is.
    //rami
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hadn't noticed this before. 
    I have a timed out onshape file open in chrome.  ("Your Onshape session has timed out yada-yada" blue banner at top.)
    As far as the mouse goes the document is "locked", but my 3dconnexion device can manipulate the view just fine!
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    edited February 2019
    3dcad said:
    ...I would like to use stronger security measure like two-factor auth...

We do allow users to setup two factor authentication (2FA) in My account > Security. Next time users sign in they have the option to save the device for 30 days without requiring a 2FA code again.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
    TimRice said:
    .. Users then have the option to save the device for 30 days without requiring a 2FA code again.
    That great. I did not know that. Thanks @TimRice
    //rami
    @lougallo @TimRice

Just out of blue - What would be the procedure if one morning you have email saying that your Onshape account has been hacked and you can get it back by paying $xxxxx ?  (with hacking I mean stolen/poor password..)
    //rami
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    edited February 2019
    @3dcad
    That is very likely to be a phishing email but if it were true you can fill out our contact form https://www.onshape.com/contact and we will get back to you right away. We have some very robust tools to ensure the integrity of our customer's data.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
    @TimRice
    This was only in theory and never had any false email concerning Onshape. Something like this happened to Instagram account I follow and that made me think about it. In that case the account was eventually returned to it's owner keeping followers but all the content was lost.  
    //rami
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @3dcad even if somebody did guess your password and deleted all your documents, we keep backups.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Just commenting on the technical side:

Measurements do require a roundtrip to the server.  The geometric information required to take a measurement is not shuttled over to the browser.  Most likely we would not be able to implement functionality like this (as the architecture currently stands).
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited February 2019
    That's a shame :(

The shop has a MS Surface for referencing models and other information on the server.
    But being a MS Surface, surrounded by a brick building, has shotty wireless reliability. I had it disconnect on my today a couple times while trying to snap a measurement in the shop.
    also, being a MS Surface, with shotty wireless, and nobody shuts it off most nights (grumble grumble) the thing has become dog slow.
    so every DC costs a lot of awkward smiles from me to the assembler while we wait for it to reload. 

It would be nice to have a local cache of a model (view only / no export, etc) But I understand the security risk. Once you store it, it is as good as exported/stolen. Maybe there could be an option in the share menu to allow temporary storage until the browser's session is ended, or time out after 5 hours regardless of internet connection. if a measurement is needed, try and pickup where you left off, rather than a complete regen of the whole document. At least that way we can pick an choose who we trust with that power (no different than export)

(probably more to it than that, but doesn't hurt to ask eh?)
    @john_mcclary
    We are pretty much in same situation.. tablets collecting dust and printer pushing rain forest out to get data into shop floor.. But for us the need would be MBD rather than offline viewing.
    //rami
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @john_mcclary

The "more to it than that" part is that the geometry kernel needs to be invoked to do the measurement.  A point to point measurement may be easy but a face to face measurement is much less trivial.  So we would somehow need to port the whole geometry kernel to all of our clients (web, android, ios) for the measurement to happen locally.

Doesn't mean we aren't listening though, all feedback is valuable, and maybe we can find some way to fake it eventually :) 
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited February 2019
    I would be happy with view only, without measure. Most of the time they just need to understand what parts go where. Rather than what size the parts are
    (In our shop's case at least)

If they need to measure, at that point check connection and refresh
  • sjalifesjalife Member, Developers Posts: 24 PRO
    I agree with most of the commented here. 

I get the security concerns, and I am all for them, but the timeouts are waaaay to strict for my taste. 
    I suggest two improvements:
    1. User selectable (longer) timeouts (you can even throw a big warning, somebody's gonna steal your stuff while you're up in the bathroom)
    2. Offline view-only mode / cache. SPECIALLY for mobile devices. Having a model you can open, zoom, rotate and such as a reference is sooo useful. I currently have to download a SAT o STEP and open it on a 3rd party viewer to show customers or to have a reference to observe while on a plane ride to be able to keep the brain going while having lots of thinking time and no internet.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    sjalife said:
    2. Offline view-only mode / cache. SPECIALLY for mobile devices. Having a model you can open, zoom, rotate and such as a reference is sooo useful. I currently have to download a SAT o STEP and open it on a 3rd party viewer to show customers or to have a reference to observe while on a plane ride to be able to keep the brain going while having lots of thinking time and no internet.

Agreed!
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Auke_Smit_SILAuke_Smit_SIL Member Posts: 20 PRO
    sjalife said:
    1. User selectable (longer) timeouts (you can even throw a big warning, somebody's gonna steal your stuff while you're up in the bathroom)
    Why is it a security risk?
    If I go to the bathroom and leave my computer open, they can just refresh anyway, correct?

I would like an offline viewer, simple measurement, and no timeout (or auto reload if I open the tab) for my workflows.