Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Modifying parts and feature in Part Studio looses link with the original part number and description

Phil_DyzePhil_Dyze Member Posts: 12 PRO
After a first revision and prototype, I often have to do heavy modifications to our design. Quite often, the first sketches and features are affected.

The first revision parts have their part-number, revision, and other details linked to drawings and other properties.

Once I modify the design and update some features, Onshape will often detect the parts as "new" parts, I can't find a way to tell it that it's the same part as before. The whole history, drawing, links to properties are lost from that point.

Is there a way to reassign (re-link) a body to a previously existing part?

Comments

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    That's interesting. When you're changing these features, are you deleting them and re-making them?  
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    This can happen when doing major sketch mods and part reference is lost. It can be frustrating as properties are lost as well as links to drawing and assemblies. I think I try and avoid this by doing more direct editing on old designs rather than changing sketch at the top of the tree however it would be good to have some way to re-reference a part. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Please create an Idea in the Improvement Requests category to the right.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Phil_DyzePhil_Dyze Member Posts: 12 PRO
    That's interesting. When you're changing these features, are you deleting them and re-making them?  
    Only changing them. As Bruce said, it doesn't always happen, but it's a little pain when it does.

This can happen when doing major sketch mods and part reference is lost. It can be frustrating as properties are lost as well as links to drawing and assemblies. I think I try and avoid this by doing more direct editing on old designs rather than changing sketch at the top of the tree however it would be good to have some way to re-reference a part. 
    I totally agree that avoiding modifying the top features would solve this issue. However, I know these products will have many revisions over time and I hate working on models with patches over patches. Fewer features and cleaner environments make it more efficient in my humble opinion.
    Please create an Idea in the Improvement Requests category to the right.
    Noted, will do.