Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to Import multiple Parasolids/STL/Step files into an Assembly

joshua_gibsonjoshua_gibson Member Posts: 3
I have multiple Parasolid files that I would like to make an assembly with to see how the parts fit together. Is there a way to do this in Onshape? 

I tried inserting the Parasolid into an assmebly but it wont allow me to. If I select the Parasolid I want to insert the green check mark stays dimmed.

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi @joshua_gibson - you have to translate the Parasolid files into Onshape parts first. In your open Document, go to the + menu (bottom left) and select import, then select all the files you need. A Part Studio will be created for each imported file. You can then insert the parts into your assembly.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • joshua_gibsonjoshua_gibson Member Posts: 3
    Hello @NeilCooke. Thank you for the reply. I tried that and its still not allowing me to insert the part into the assembly. I created a new document and imported the Parasolid and tried to insert. Here's a screen shot of what I got.

• Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    @joshua_gibson Is there a part in that part studio?
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @joshua_gibson Is there a part in that part studio?
    Nope!

As they said on Mythbusters "There's yer problem!"

@joshua_gibson it looks like your Parasolid might be an STL or other mesh, not an actual part.

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd