Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating Bends in Sheet Metal Model with flanges

craig_townsend418craig_townsend418 Member Posts: 20
I've got a sheet model that I'm trying to introduce a 45 degree angle on the Z axis. I can't seem to figure out how to make this work?

I was trying to start by drawing the sketch at a 45 degree angle following the info in this thread, but the angle kept being placed on the Y axis. But as I thought about it, I really need the angle to be in the sheet metal version, so that when I export a flatten version of the sheet metal model, it will have the right length of the flanges (so when the I take the CAD design to real product the flanges will fold). So, do I have to introduce the bend before adding the flange? Or can I add the bend after adding the flange?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7fd2383717f4dc594b53446d/w/2c4e4a083f89a062226756b4/e/9413a027c1b4769658aada93

On the sketch, I'm trying to bend the last 62" of the sheet metal model to allow something along the lines of this drawing.

Thanks,
Craig 

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    It probably would have been a little easier to "control" if you had drawn the part in the plan view to include the angle as per the view above. However, all you need to do is add a flange at 45 degrees to the vertical ("Z axis") edge.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    It probably would have been a little easier to "control" if you had drawn the part in the plan view to include the angle as per the view above. However, all you need to do is add a flange at 45 degrees to the vertical ("Z axis") edge.
    Thanks for the information and the help. I was able to create a flange at 45, and then recreate the top flange
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7fd2383717f4dc594b53446d/w/2c4e4a083f89a062226756b4/e/9413a027c1b4769658aada93

In the future I will consider drawing the sketch using the top plane instead of the right plane. That said, is there a way to change the angle of lines other then using different sketch planes? 
  • Options
    Following up on this previous question about flanges and sheet metal, I can't seem to figure out what function to use to solve collisions in the flanges in a sheet metal model. 
    Is using the joint function the best way to fix this problem?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/783f75025901e16781d663cd/w/5ff38757ad06055dd859bcdf/e/448c0ceaee3b38ec45eb495b
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @craig_townsend418

I'm not sure if I see what you're asking about in that model. But yes, if your sheet metal is colliding in the flat, you may have to change some bends to rips and some rips to bends (by right clicking on the joints in the table) to reorganize the flat and make it work.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team