Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Tangent arcs flip directions

christoph_schmitzchristoph_schmitz Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
Hi,

in one sketch I use a couple of arcs that flow into straight lines. Now an arc can be tangent to a line by continuing in the same direction (0 degrees), or go right back in the direction the line came from (180 degrees). In my model, some of the tangent arcs flip back and forth between the two depending on other geometry.

Is there a way to constrain the arc and the line in a way that prevents the 180 degree case? I'd rather have my sketch break than turn into some contorted shapes that are hard to move back. I have tried to add an angle constraintgeometry at the joint between the arc and the line, but that doesn't seem to work.

Thanks
Christoph
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi @christoph_schmitz - short answer is no. How severe are the topological changes to your sketch? You may want to consider either not adding fillets to your sketches and add them as fillet features to the model or make the sketches less complicated. If you share the doc URL I can take a look at why it might be happening.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • christoph_schmitzchristoph_schmitz Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Thanks Neil,

I think in part I was just being stupid :-), see below.

Here's a document that illustrates what I observed:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f4fc462cbce27d8bfdbc5d95/w/089a8c7db69016406335e7b5/e/8046bbfbfe9d50ebd24f9401

... in the Misc/Tangent Problems part studio. I was trying to create a boomerang shape from six arcs and two straight lines by first drawing the shapes (Sketch 1), then connecting those with coincident constraints (Sketch 2), then adding tangent constraints (Sketch 3 is what I want). Sketch 3a is what I sometimes end up with when the tangent constraints being added on the arcs throw things around quite a bit and then I try to drag all the arcs and lines into their approximate places before dimensioning them and tying them down, so to speak.

The problem, I guess, is that I should not try to add the tangent constraints last and wait for things to fly all over the place.

Christoph
    There is a slightly less contrived example in the Sweep Half Airfoils/Configurations folder. In one configuration called "Traditional", the splines  that define the wingtips flipped outside in, while in other configurations it is ok. In this case it's a spline, though, not a tangent arc.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @christoph_schmitz I see it. When you are creating these splines are they close to their final shape before you add dimensions? If the change (size/location) caused by the configuration is big, this could be the cause.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    That's brilliant, thanks!