Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extrusion face selection - inner most with outer most

leon_smith793leon_smith793 Member Posts: 9
Hi,

I am trying to understand how this extrusion was created.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6863de1af2465d1a223c6df2/w/ed0b2e5b8d0a50e5e601e3a9/e/bc9b0ed1e0c4f90891b79ebc

|   |      |   c     |    |       |
|   |      |_____|    |       |
|   |___________|       |
|_________________|

When I try to replicate it, always select A and B. I would like to extrude between A and C. Could it be that B was drawn from

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,377
    Hi @leon_smith793 all shaded regions in a sketch can be extruded. If you want just A & C to extrude, select them on the screen rather than the entire sketch.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Thank @NeilCooke , every time I try to select A, I get A & B together. Maybe my sketch is wrong.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6863de1af2465d1a223c6df2/w/ed0b2e5b8d0a50e5e601e3a9/e/bc9b0ed1e0c4f90891b79ebc

• Options
    Sketch looks fine - worked OK for me?

• Options
    Thank @NeilCooke
    What you have selected corresponds to A and B in my son ASCII art. Are you able to select select A and C, ie have a extend the solid to the next inner poly

• Options
    You can select any of them. However if there is a gap, it will create a new part by default. 
  • Options
    Hi @NeilCooke

That is the essence of my question. I am trying to avoid a gap and a new part. I suppose I can draw to separate sketches, but logically the polygons belong in the same sketch.

I am trying to learn from a model I have found, and there they are able to achieve what I am trying to do. I had it behind the rollback bar and tried to recreate it. I have moved it above the rollback bar and taken this screenshot:

How did they achieve this?

Thanks Leon
  • Options
    Sorry, I'm still not understanding what the issue is. Here, I just selected the regions to extrude, same as your image above.

Note that the Extrude is set to "New" - if you are trying to add this extrude to another part, use "Add".
  • Options
    Hi @NeilCooke

Thanks for your patience. It has finally clicked for me. I believe the mistake I was making was clicking on the polygons and not the spaces between the polygons. I was therefore landing just on the other side of the region I was wanting to extrude.