Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Change to Driven Dimension moves from the top of the dialogue when configured.

brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
edited March 2019 in General
I use alot of Driving and Driven Dims in sketches and automatic switch these from the dialogue without thinking or looking but I get messed up when a configuration is added because configure dimension then sits on top of the dialogue and seems to always get hit by mistake.

I'd really love to see the "change to driven dimension" always stay on top with the change configuration dropping in below. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   

Comments

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @brucebartlett

Just a thought, but maybe rather than trying to tune the context menu (it will never be perfect for everyone's workflows), we could introduce a keyboard shortcut?  No promises on ever making this happen, just curious about your opinion on something like that.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    How about something clickable on the dimension itself? That way there is no shortcut to remember. Something like the flip direction icon from other dialogues perhaps.
    OS
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited March 2019
    @Jake_Rosenfeld @owen_sparks    A short cut key would be nice, it might have to be used while hovering over the dimension.  However, I am pretty locked into the switch from the dialogue as I am very big on using driven/driving dim for layout sketches and it messes with me every time I add a configuration and switch a driven dim, it seems to be a constant mistake I make post config as I am not reading the dialogue, but I may be the anomaly. 

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Maybe make q be a shortcut to make a dimension driven?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    I like it! Making a dimension a “construction dimension” 😀
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    I like it! Making a dimension a “construction dimension” 😀
    q would work for me.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    edited March 2019
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I like q  & voted'r up
    thanks @MBartlett21