Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Release Management: should we release off-the-shelf hardware and components by outside vendors?

andres_dandlerandres_dandler Member Posts: 17 PRO
Hello,
How does Onshape handle part numbers and revs of non-custom parts?  From example: hardware, or outside components like switches, pumps, etc.  I would like to capture the manufacturer's part number (and maybe their revision), but I don't necessarily want to include their parts in our Release Management.
I noticed this because I'm trying to release my first few parts and drawings.  I just looked at releasing my assembly, and it's asking me to release all the components that go into it, which includes hardware and other outside components. 
Any advice?  How are you all doing this?
Thanks!
 -Andres

Comments

• adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    You can add those Fields as company specific Custom Properties, and exclude those Purchased Components from being Revision Managed. If you open the Properties for a Part select the "Not Revision Managed"

Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Is there any guidelines from onshape as to this? 
    @NeilCooke

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    Is there any guidelines from onshape as to this? 

I've seen it on a couple of the Webinars, not sure if it's documented on any other content.
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @MBartlett21 as @adrian_velazquez says, I don’t think it is documented but that is the right way to do it. 
    @andres_dandler if you want to use the vendor’s part number you will have to make sure that you don’t set a Pattern for your part number (https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/manage_procompany_account.htm?Highlight=Pattern ) otherwise it might conflict. Some companies want to assign their own internal part numbering scheme to bought in items as well. To do this, create another custom property to store the vendor’s part number and then you can track both if you need to. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • andres_dandlerandres_dandler Member Posts: 17 PRO
    A-ha!  All of this makes sense.  Thank you for the tips!