Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Reassign links with existing part when editing top features from broken entities

Phil_DyzePhil_Dyze Member Posts: 12 PRO
After a first revision and prototype, I often have to do heavy modifications to our design. Quite often, the first top sketches and features are affected.

The first revision parts have their part-number, revision, and other details linked to drawings and other properties.

Once I modify the design and update some features, Onshape will often detect the parts as "new" parts, I can't find a way to tell it that it's the same part as before. The whole history, drawing, links to properties are lost from that point.

It would be really nice to be able to reassign (re-link) a body to a previously existing part. I don't mind if the drawings down't recognize all the features, having the properties, revisions and documents linked is already a big plus for me.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Phil_Dyze This is a hard problem.  With Part Studios, there can be many parts in one studio that share the same tree.  A part identifier is assigned as the model grows.  Changes to the body like boolean, split etc can start to generate different part ids.  We do quite a bit to keep these consistent as the featurelist changes but there are ways to get this to completely change and cause some downstream disconnected issues as you described above.  With that being said, I am not sure there is anything specific we can do to since the challenge is on a case by case basis.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.