Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Helix, Unwrap to Sketch

william_holden959william_holden959 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
I'd like to be able to draw a helix, flatten it to a sketch, alter it and then have it convert back to the helix with the changes. Sketch Wrapper is a great solution, but I'd ultimately I'd like to use a helix to base it off of. Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Another thing...maybe... Potentially you could make a helix out of any closed loop on a sketch, why limit it to circles.
  • Options
    I don't know if this has any life left, but to clarify what I was thinking... You start with a helix by defining a starting point (degrees) and other parameters (pitch/revolutions etc)...After the helix is created you'd have the option to edit it with a sketch (unwrap). Then you'd get a sketch with the starting point and endpoint and a straight line that represents the helix. You could make the line a construction line where the endpoints stay fixed. Then you could create anything in-between the endpoints. The start and end positions (degrees with pitch, revolutions, etc) are all preserved, but the profile of the helix is changeable.

To clarify the other comment about the profile of helix is kind of a different topic, but theoretically the concept of a helix could be expanded to include square shapes or any closed loop for that matter - it shouldn't have to just be for circles (or cylinders).
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @william_holden959 I think this is a situation where using our FeatureScript to have a custom tool built might be a better solution.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Have you tried using sheet-metal and sketching on the flat pattern?

I do this for my projects and it works very well.

for example adding extended tabs for roll form feeding:

Circled areas were added with a flat pattern sketch

• Options
    lougallo said:
    @william_holden959 I think this is a situation where using our FeatureScript to have a custom tool built might be a better solution.

Probably so. I found a work-around and the feature would probably get limited use.