Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Extrude tilted hole in two directions

Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in Product Feedback

In OS 1.93 it is possible to drill the holes slanting. However, then arises an undercut. The workaround in the Hole feature is moving the Mate Connector along the Z-axis, but that offset can conflict with the design intent, e.g. when the 'drill angle' changes the value can be too small (or too big because the hole cuts unexpected elements then). 

Edit [20190306] The offset along the Z-direction also displaces the hole on the drilling plane (https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/51054/#Comment_51054).  

One can also Delete Face but that conficts with the rotation angle of 0º and requires an extra feature.

Is there in this case the possibility to extend the hole (automatically) in opposite direction within the Hole feature?

See also the initiation and following ideas: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/50865/#Comment_50865

Henk de Vlaam (NL)

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Henk_de_V IN this case you would add an offset by adding to the Z direction.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

@lougallo ,

lougallo said:

I’ve done that and as you can see the intersection point of the drilling surface and the hole axis shifts to the right in this case.

Do you mean something else?

Henk de Vlaam (NL)
    Henk_de_V said:

@lougallo ,

lougallo said:

I’ve done that and as you can see the intersection point of the drilling surface and the hole axis shifts to the right in this case.

Do you mean something else?

@lougallo,

Due to my comment; do you think that it is possible to place this topic back as Improvement Request? If so, can you also put back the votes? When you removed it out of the IR category there were approx. 12 votes and last days we probably missed some votes.

Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @Henk_de_V - you are right - if the order of the rotation and translation could be controlled then you would be able to get the result you need. A better solution would be to either automatically sense a half-cut hole or have a checkbox to remove the rogue face. @lougallo please move back to IR.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    edited March 2019
    NeilCooke said:
    @Henk_de_V - you are right - if the order of the rotation and translation could be controlled then you would be able to get the result you need. A better solution would be to either automatically sense a half-cut hole or have a checkbox to remove the rogue face. @lougallo please move back to IR.
    Thank you Neil,

I imitated your first suggestion of reordering in https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3fd0a9192387165a171c9ea9/w/63a42aa5d191d4c8ba1f000b/e/3c5949b956d234353c2a0ad8?configuration=Hole_rotation=0.8726646259971648+radian but this still does not guarantee Design intent. I took a random value (5.7 mm) for the second end posion of the extruded hole and uptill 29 deg all is fine, but at >29 deg the hole intersects unexpectedly the body (non design intent). Play around with the config variable ' Hole rotation'.
    So in my opinion the automatic detection or checkbox are the best (and only?) solutions.

Henk de Vlaam (NL)
    edited March 2019
    NeilCooke said:
    @lougallo,

If you agree, please can you move this topic to IR and then ad some (ca. 20?) votes to it (see https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/51174/#Comment_51174)?
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Henk_de_V said:
     then ad some (ca. 20?) votes to it?
    We only hold a handful of licenses but our IR votes can be easily bought, or exchanged for corresponding votes on the IR's we want o:)
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    @owen_sparks

I earned at that time (https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/51174/#Comment_51174) already some votes so, your price per vote should be very, very low (max. €0,01?) ;)
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I think that will be the £ to € conversion rate soon so that could be OK for me...
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd