Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Television Used as Monitor

Steve_LeposaSteve_Leposa Member Posts: 8
I am trying to use an older small flat screen television as a monitor via HDMI for Onshape modeling at home.  The drawing tab crashed a few times and the system check said the monitor was not adequate.  I am thinking of getting a new television for this purpose, so the room could be used as an office but also able to watch TV without having multiple screens. When looking, what specs are most important for Onshape? Mainly I am looking for good performance not necessarily a high resolution image... Should I be looking for a specific refresh rate, resolution, etc? Or should I just abandon the idea and use an actual monitor?

Comments

• Options
    TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    It may help to see the results from the perfromance check. Your computer's graphics card is important for good performance and in this case it may not be able to handle your computer's screen and the monitor.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    @TimRice I will take a screenshot tonight when I get home, thanks!
  • Options

• Options
    Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    @Steve_Leposa , The issue here may be the graphics card you have and not the TV monitor. From the screen shot above it looks like your GPU isn't able to render graphics at 60Hz refresh rate. The graphics interactivity may be impacted by this. This page has some information on the resolutions the Quadro M2000M supports, : https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/quadro-m2000m.c2740 .

Can you try setting the display resolution to one of the recommended ones and seeing if performance improves? If you do experience drawings crashes, please open a support ticket. Support may be able to determine the reason for the crash.

• Options
    Some of the resolutions are not available, I am using 1366x768 and crashed again. I have sent the color of the monitor to high color 16 bit and was able to get a good system check. Too early to tell if it is a solution, I will report back with my findings.  I attached a photo of the crash on 32bit.