Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Help with dimensions

bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
It's almost always a delight to use Onshape Drawings but occasionally creating a part drawing gets downright confusing.
For example: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c5abfd5f654e251234f0bf96/w/f9c22e580d59ee9961fd8da4/e/a39da6314d8d7b289aa82c8e
The 'scallop' is a 1.122" diameter cylindrical surface set at 10 degrees to the plane of the part.  The exact location of this 'scallop' is important so it needs dimensions.  In the past, I would draw a center-line and dimension to it but the OS centerline tool needs end points.  Can any of you "Pros" give me a hand?
Tagged:

Comments

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    could you add an axis line from the corresponding part studio sketch? or make a new sketch with the axis line and add it to the view
  • bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what you mean.  I can create a line in the corresponding sketch but it won't appear in the drawing.  I guess I could create an object in the part studio to represent the center-line but that would confuse the CAM program.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @bill_daniels

You can show part studio sketches in a drawing by right clicking on a drawing view.  See show/hide sketches on this help page:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/drawings-views.htm?tocpath=Drawings|_____4
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    Thanks, Jake.  It looks like that would do what I want however, I can't figure out how to open that context dialog box.  I hate to be a grammar cop but...

"Show or hide selected sketch from Part Studio." (Incomplete sentence - by doing what?).   "When the Show/hide sketches dialog opens, select the sketch from the menu."  (Indefinite pronoun - What causes it to open?)
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited April 2019
    @bill_daniels

I will definitely forward this to our documentation team to take a pass over it, but the idea is that all of those items are under the heading that says: "Modifying views through the Context menu (RMB)".  It's trying to tell you that if you RMB (right mouse button (right click)) on a view, there will be an option that is called "Show/Hide sketches...".  Then that incomplete sentence is intended to mean "[When you click on the right click menu item called 'Show/Hide sketches...', it allows you to] Show or hide selected sketch from Part Studio."

Thanks for the input, and let me know if you're still having trouble.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    OK, I figured out what was confusing me.  "Show/Hide Sketches" doesn't appear in the dialog box with Section Views.