Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Moving Changes from main to a branch

SmilesonicaSmilesonica Member Posts: 27 PRO
I just made a number of modifications to a part studio and assembly that was supposed to be a possible rev 2 of the product down the road.  I forgot to create a branch for this.  Is there a way to move the changes made into a new branch after Ive done them?

Comments

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you can merge changes from one branch into another branch. Open the branch that you want to merge into, then right-click on the branch that you want to merge from, then click "merge into current workspace".

More info here: https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/merging-branches-in-onshape
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    You can also look at the document change history and create a version from before your changes (by right-clicking on the correct change).  You can branch from that point then and that can become your main branch (Main is just a name).
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    You can also look at the document change history and create a version from before your changes (by right-clicking on the correct change).  You can branch from that point then and that can become your main branch (Main is just a name).
    I am not sure about transferring to a branch as the main workspace. Doesn't main have the extra security of not being able to delete at the workspace node. It also appears differently on the tree so gives the user a point of reference to where the main/complete/master/most relevant design info is. I've tried working on braches but have found it best to limit branches to short bursts which are merged back into main as soon as possible if decided they have merit and then deleted to keep history tree clean.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    Correct, Bruce.  The original Main cannot be deleted.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    SmilesonicaSmilesonica Member Posts: 27 PRO
    @ilya_baran @brucebartlett @tim_hess427 Thanks for the comments, that helped.  Got it sorted now.