Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Release Management, Finding Released Items

brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
I am using release management on a project at the moment and wondering if anyone has tips on finding released parts within a document. I just want to be able to select the document and surface all the latest releases without having to navigate to the versions. I know I can use the search but you have to know specific part name or number which I don't always have.  
Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   

Comments

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    I am using release management on a project at the moment and wondering if anyone has tips on finding released parts within a document. I just want to be able to select the document and surface all the latest releases without having to navigate to the versions. I know I can use the search but you have to know specific part name or number which I don't always have.  

Hi brucebartlett,

When you say "finding released parts within a document" are you talking about the version + tab where the released part/assembly/etc is defined or where they are consumed?
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @jakeramsley , I am just looking for a good workflow to find release items within a product structure. I normally like to find stuff by going to my top-level model clicking on items to navigate into the product's structure to find the required details. There is no way that I can see to go from a part or sub-assembly in the top level model straight to the latest approved part or sub-assembly, then to the latest approved drawing, at the moment I have to find the part or sub-assembly, check property details then transfer this into a search at the home screen in another browser tab . 
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    Have not foung any good/practical way of doing this, I have submitted some enhancement requests. My idea is that there should be a panelsimilar to the Tab managager, but it would be the Release Manager, where it would list the Release and/or Version opened/referenced in the active workspace. That way you could go to your top level assembly and get a full view of status for each component.
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    My idea is that there should be a panelsimilar to the Tab managager, but it would be the Release Manager, where it would list the Release and/or Version opened/referenced in the active workspace. That way you could go to your top level assembly and get a full view of status for each component.
    Yes, this sounds like exactly what I want. 

Like in this image when you click the black triangle but it searches through all versions, not just the one you have open and maybe it would also be helpful to have a way to order into product structure, however that may need to be outside of the document to combine items from across documents and released versions. 

Like in this image when you click the black triangle but it searches through all versions, not just the one you have open and maybe it would also be helpful to have a way to order into product structure, however that may need to be outside of the document to combine items from across documents and released versions. 

One of the ideas that we threw around along those lines was to have have a Release Management Section in the Home page (In addition to Activity, Documents, and Analytics) were you would be able to visualize and/or organize in a central place all your Releases without being on a specific Document. 
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I just want to voice my support for development in this area. We're trying to figure out the best way to manage branches, versions, and releases. Better visibility into releases and released parts would definitely be helpful. 

I just found that when you insert a part from a document with releases and click the black triangle it shows a list of all the latest release parts and assemblies and also places the rev level in brackets to the side. I really like this but would like to see a similar way to navigate parts/assemblies/drawings outside of the assembly insert dialogue. 

I just found that when you insert a part from a document with releases and click the black triangle it shows a list of all the latest release parts and assemblies and also places the rev level in brackets to the side. I really like this but would like to see a similar way to navigate parts/assemblies/drawings outside of the assembly insert dialogue. 
    And would like to see the Revision Number listed not just the Triangle
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    @michael_bromley

Can you tell me which additional "columns" would be important for you?  I assume you want some sort of search/filter based on certain metadata.  
    edited April 2019
    @michael_bromley @adrian_vlzkz @PeteYodis On the insert dialogue the revision is included in brackets after the part number. This seems to be a little different to normal where the part name shows up with no revision.  
  • Jeffrey_BaxterJeffrey_Baxter Member Posts: 2
    Getting metadata out of Onshape about released status of materials would be very helpful.
  • david_rubli136david_rubli136 Member Posts: 16 PRO
    Have not foung any good/practical way of doing this, I have submitted some enhancement requests. My idea is that there should be a panelsimilar to the Tab managager, but it would be the Release Manager, where it would list the Release and/or Version opened/referenced in the active workspace. That way you could go to your top level assembly and get a full view of status for each component.
    I would actualy prefer a list like the Items
  • david_rubli136david_rubli136 Member Posts: 16 PRO
    Are there any IR for this topic? If not, we shoul make one.