Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Turn Signal Design

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO

The front turn indicators are the next thing that have to go, ok, maybe just relocated:

Motorcycles need turn signals, but they need to be brightened & styled.

Close up:

Details:

These new led turn signals should be brighter and more noticeable. 

Comments

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    edited April 2019
    @billy2 your posts around this are great! I'm not sure if you've shared this in a previous discussion (if so please feel free to link) but I'm curious about your process for scanning and bringing the mesh into Onshape.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited April 2019
    There's really not much to it. I have an inexpensive scanner that I bought along time ago. I believe it's a structure scanner and produces an obj file that I upload to OS. I take large scans and then scan that are close up. It never gets that much definition and I use a pair of calibers for the critical dimensions.

Aligning the mesh is the most difficult thing about all of this. I've been using vectors attached to the mesh then create a mate connector attached to the vectors. Once you have a mate connector, I translate using mate connectors.

I always tweak the position after the a major translate. I usually have major & minor translations.

The rotations are the most difficult and the translations are the easiest.

The benefits of laying it all out in OS, making one and it works. 

Here's a link to "mesh aligning techniques":

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8538/mesh-aligning-techniques#latest

I have modified Ilya's 3d spine tool so it'll pick up the midpoint of a curve which is helpful when trying to define the center of a circle.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Nice! @billy2