Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

sweep tool - using a partial path

IsoThermIsoTherm Member Posts: 66 PRO
Greetings,
I have a path, defined by a 3d spline, and a profile on a sketch at the start end of the path. The profile is two concentric circles. I want to sweep two times; the first time I want to extrude (add) for only a short section of the path, the second time I want to cut out the center hole for the entire length of the path. Is there a way to do this using the same 3d Spline?
Thanks
Isotherm
Tagged:

Comments

• TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Since sketches, splines, and other features are not consumed in features you can reuse them as many times as you would like. For this specific example if you can make the document public and share the url here many people would be happy to help walk you through it!
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • IsoThermIsoTherm Member Posts: 66 PRO
    I get that I can use the same 3d spline as a tool for multiple purposes, what I want to know is, can I use just a part of one with the sweep tool? For example, if the spline is 4" long, but I only want the extruded sweep to travel along the the first 1".
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited April 2019
    no, I least I don't think so.

So here's a partial of a curve:

Using the wrong starting circle:

Using a proper starting circle:

So possibly the correct answer to your question is both yes & no.

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    After re-reading your question, I believe you need to split your curve, define a normal plane at split, then sweep in one direction, then do it again for the second direction. Sweep doesn't have a 2nd direction.

Using the same curve twice won't work because sweep uses the entire path, not a partial of the part where the profile exists.

OK, so you can put the profile anywhere along the path:

Just create a normal plane along your path and that'll work.

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Philip Thomas - Onshape