Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Copying a part within a part studio

Tim_HutchinsTim_Hutchins Member Posts: 3 PRO
I wasn't able to find this exactly in any posts. Is there a way to copy a part within a part studio AND be able to edit features in that part? For example, I have this multi part part studio that I would like to duplicate one part and make some changes while not affecting the original copy. I see I can do that, but it just seem to be a solid body at that point with no ability to delete features. I'd rather not copy the entire studio because then if some other part changes affecting the new copy, it would propagate. Does that make sense?

Comments

• Options
    TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Our branching functionality is well suited for this workflow. Simply create a version and then branch off from that version to create an alternative version of that part.

https://learn.onshape.com/courses/fundamentals-branching-and-merging
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Better off using configurations IMHO
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,374
    edited April 2019
    or if the changes are minor you can use Move Face on the copied solid body.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Tim_HutchinsTim_Hutchins Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Thank you. Branching should be perfect for what I want to do. Honestly haven't done much with that. Still stuck in old school CAD mentality. Good reason to learn branching.