Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is There a Method To Create a Sketch Template?

larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
I am forever creating a construction line on the x and y axis for every new sketch. Is there a way to make those lines 'sticky' for every new sketch or when opening any new sketch have them (among other items if wanted) already placed in every new sketch?

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    No, but if you are using those construction lines for mirroring, did you know you can mirror sketch entities about the default planes? You could also “use” the lines from the first sketch. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    Thanks Neil, I tend to use them to help define a sketch (even the first sketch), in a LOT of sketches. Not saying it's a recommended practice but am always looking for ways to save time/clicks. A bit surprised there's no such feature.

Thanks again
  • larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    Typically the default planes are sufficient, it is very rare you should need to explicitly define axis if you are coming off of the origin.
    Will keep this in mind...
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    I just verified that (in addition to all the good suggestions above), that you can copy a sketch (the one you use all the time) to the clipboard and then just paste it on to any face or plane as a starting point :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape