Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Free version no longer available?

Hi,

I've been using Onshape for my 3D print projects for over a year now and am very happy with this software. Back then the free subscription was prominently marketed on the website. I am aware of restriction imposed on the free version last year (commercial use etc.). I've been promoting Onshape to the 3D printng community, but now on the website there is no mention of the free version anymore.
So my questions are:
- is it no longer available for newcomers
- will my free account be closed some time in future
Anybody has info on this?

Gert.

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    The web-page still exists but I'm not sure how you're meant to get to it.

I found this a couple of days back when trying to promote Onshape on a popular youtube channel...

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    This is very interesting... and sad  :/
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    The free version is still available and I'm not aware of any plans to change that.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Don't panic - the Onshape Free plan is and will continue to be available, for free. During sign-up using the "request a trial" button, if a user identifies themselves as a hobbyist/maker they will be directed to the free plan. Googling "Onshape Free" will also take you straight there. 

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @NeilCooke - what about people signing up to be able to view files (partners, suppliers, etc.). Are we supposed to refer them to the "request a trial" sign up? If a document is shared directly to someone's email address, will they see language about a free trial or have to identify themselves as hobbyist/maker? 
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited February 2019
    I've also heard of similar experiences where people are trying to share to a non-editing supplier, partner and not be able to find where to sign up. Being able to share info to a free (non-editing)  user is a key feature of Onshape should be easy obtained at a sign in level. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @tim_hess427 @brucebartlett

Sharing a document with someone's email address will bring them directly to sign up for the free plan when they click on the link.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    May be, if document is shared via link it is not clear how to sign up?
  • john_hackingtonjohn_hackington Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    Don't panic - the Onshape Free plan is and will continue to be available, for free. During sign-up using the "request a trial" button, if a user identifies themselves as a hobbyist/maker they will be directed to the free plan. Googling "Onshape Free" will also take you straight there. 

I've just recommended someone to try out Onshape, and guided him to the Sign In page, and then click on the Sign Up link below.

When filling up the first information page, we clearly selected "Hobbyist/Maker", but was directed to the Pro Trial sign up and not a Free sign up. We went back and double checked several times, but it still led to the Pro Trial page.

We decided to go through with it, but found that it really was a request for Trial procedure, and only an email was sent to him to state that a representative will be in contact, with no account created. He can't use Onshape, without any account.

Only after that did we dig around and found that we have to click in through the dedicated Free Plan page to get the free plan. The "Sign up" page by clicking through the regular "Sign in" page does not have a Free Plan sign up path.