Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Any problems with online services?

andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in General
I had a model crash irretrievably, and now am getting kicked off the Support page for the ticket I raised to report it

This webpage is not available

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Comments

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lou got me back into business in 1.5 hours. I lost about 30 seconds worth of modelling input. How good is that?
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been getting errors like that generally around 5-6 pm every day that I use Onshape and am beginning to suspect that my ISP (Comcast) is having issues with their feed to us.  So far I really haven't lost more than a few seconds work and many times none at all.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    If you can get to a command shell, type this in 

traceroute cad.onshape.com

traceroute shows how information is getting from your computer to Onshape's servers.

screen output:

192.168.1.1 is my router to my provider

sandiegobroadband.com is my provider

then it goes through the back bone and into amazon.

I suspect the backbone to amazon will be fast.  

Watch speeds for you to your provider and then your provider to the backbone.

Take a screenshot of your traceroute screen and send it into your provider. They'll know what this is and you'll have something to talk about. 

This is better than just saying "hey, my internet is slow"

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks a bunch, @billy
    That's golden
  • john_f_carrjohn_f_carr Onshape Employees Posts: 74
    I'm told that asymmetric routes are more common than they used to be, so traceroute may not tell the whole story.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    john_f_carr is there a better way to detect a bottle neck?

I also use speakeasy.net and run a speed test.

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Since flawless actions are very important when actually working with Onshape, it would be nice to know where the problem lies (if there is such).

Knowing nothing on this matter, would it be easy for Ons to host some speedtest on their servers to give speed info on this exact route?
    Perhaps something like http://www.speedtest.net/ but dl/ul to Ons server? 
    //rami
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @billy - I'll have to play around this a bit to figure out it all means and to get some data over time.

Mike