Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Updated API is nice

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
edited May 2019 in General
Onshape updated the API when working with configurations and it's much better. Before you had to worry about multiple people pounding on your site at the same time and now all that's gone. You get your own little session and can work the geometry without any regards to others on the site.

So I've been playing around with controlling shapes with configurations thinking that someone might want to tweak the design to their own liking. Mostly I just wanted to see it work. If you want to play around with my tail piece design follow the link below:

https://rustyshed.com/?route=tail

You can change the configuration variables & click on build geometry:

The input variables are as follows:
top bulge

bottom bulge

contour flatten

I'm still working on being able to spin the graphics because theres no good way to do it right now. I've created a ticket to have OS support glTF which is an open source standard graphic translation format. The cloud is new and this format hopefully gets adopted. What worries me is that a company comes up with something proprietary like Adobe and pdf, this wouldn't be good. Let's try and keep it open so we can easily pass 3D graphics around.

Link to vote for glTF:
https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10650/embed-a-model-into-another-website#latest

If you'd like to post a part to the web, share a document with me that has a configuration and I'll see if I can post it. Do make a branch of the design so when you're working on it, the web doesn't break. This is the perfect use of branching:

If you edit the web branch, you'll be editing a live version. I do this trying to make rebuilds faster and I don't want to mess up the main design. What goes up on the web is a stripped down branch from the main design.

When you're done, stop sharing and it's over.

Tagged:

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Bill - this is really cool!
    Any chance this is an open source project people could visit in GIT to see how to do it? :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Philip- it's about 100 lines of code in nodejs and without a lot of documentation, I don't think it'll be that meaningful without putting in a lot of time to document everything. I'm using sockets. What's a socket? Not sure I want to go there. I do use OS's python example in GIT to hook up with OS using an access key. That was pretty straight forward.

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @billy2

For some reason, your website is not working here:

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited May 2019
    @MBartlett21- I just checked my server logs and didn't see anything strange.

Can you please tell me your IP address, it'll make looking for the transaction a little easier? 

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    It's working fine here :+1:
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Surprisingly it works in most places around the world, more hits outside USA than inside. 

It's probably something else. I'm writing using ecma 6, redirect from nginx to nodejs and using local storage; there's a lot of things that could be sending up a flare. I would like to know, seems to be working on most systems.

Owen- do you have a partstudio with a configuration I could use to see if it'll work on my site? I believe if you share something with me, I should be able to point to it and it should work.

Changing the OS config names updates web presence:

I suppose we need a spell checker in the OS configuration naming routine.

@billy2
    I've sent you my ip address in a PM.

Just wondering, can you do assemblies on your website?
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @billy2
    Just wondering, can you do assemblies on your website?
    I was about to ask the same thing...
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Great minds think a like. I was thinking the same thing.

Possibly this weekend. 

All of my OS projects end up in an assembly, as I think all projects should. Assembly config is something I've been wanting for a long time. Nows the time.

@MBartlett21- I just logged into my remote server (san francisco) and ping'd your IP. Nothing. I'll start pick'n at this this weekend. 

@MBartlett21 I've scanned both access.logs & error.logs from the 5th, 6th & 7th and found neither access or errors for your ip.
    rustyshed.com isn't seeing your request, someone else is blocking it. In the rustyshed service log I did see your ip appear in Feb. but not sure it's you our someone close to you. Is your provider Exetel Pty Ltd?

Did run a successful traceroute on your ip from my server, so that's good. At least my server and your server are talking.

I did make some adjustments to my firewall hopefully allowing you in.

@billy2
    Yes, our provider is Exetel Pty Ltd.

Still the same: rustyshed.com didn’t send any data.

I have sent you a pm with my traceroute.
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    @MBartlett21 thanks I'll take a look at it.

I'm not sure why it worked in Feb and now it doesn't. My server code hasn't changed since the beginning of the year. It's gotta be on their back end.

Anyway, I've issued a support ticket. 

Thanks for helping me out with this,

edited May 2019
    Ok, got assemblies working.

Turns out assemblies work like part studios. Getting the images is a little different. I currently have my server requesting the images and want to change this to the browser for more functionality. This is my problem when architecting the async request for images. Below is a simple case of assemblies with configurations:

It's important to read everything from the onshape element and display it on the web. At least that's what I'm trying to accomplish.

Here's a working link:
    https://rustyshed.com/?route=turn