Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Copied parts in a part studio and having them treated as 1..N of the same part in an assembly

chris_rudolphchris_rudolph Member Posts: 2 PRO
This may have already been answered but I'll ask anyways. I've built a good size belt feeder as a multi-part part studio. I've cloned parts via mirroring, transform+copy, etc to represent my design. I renamed parts that were identical with the same names in order to get to some representation of what's needed to build the project. 

I know that BOMs are only available in assemblies but when I bring my part studio into a new assembly all the parts are represented as "part-name <1>", "part-name <2>" etc. Is there a way to indicate a number of parts from the part studio as being the same part? My workflow may just be wrong here but I've used features in part studios that can't be used in assemblies (ie - using the beam feature to create diagonal and vertical trusses - which leads to many of the created parts wanting to be the same in a BOM world)

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris.

Best Answer

Answers

• chris_rudolphchris_rudolph Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Thanks. I realized I was using a bad practice of multi-part part studios. Just a matter of migrating single parts into my assembly :).
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    • Thanks. I realized I was using a bad practice of multi-part part studios. Just a matter of migrating single parts into my assembly :).
      Yes, basically there's no "instancing" in within a Part Studio, you have to perform mirrors and patterns at the Assembly.
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager