Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Did shaded views break in drawings?

randy_youngrandy_young Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
Hi all,  I regularly create a shaded isometric view of my overall project for the first page of my drawings.  For some reason, I cannot find the option under the new view properties dialog box, nor in the context menu.  Was this taken away or have I suddenly become blind?  If the latter, help? 

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    I can still see "Show shaded view" in the view context menu. You cannot?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    There will be times where you won't be able to shade your view.

-when the view has been cropped
    -if the view is a detail view
    -if the view is a section view
    -if the view is a broken view
  • Options
    randy_youngrandy_young Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Sorry for the lack of reply.  I typed it and previewed but apparently didn't commit it to the forum discussion.  To answer Neil's question, it was not in the context menu at the time I requested the help and I was not using any of John's excluded situations.  It was a part that was previously shaded and when I updated the view it became outline without the option.  I signed out and back in, and the menu item was then available for use and works fine now.  I don't know what caused the hiccup and have been unable to reproduce it.  Thanks for getting back with me even though I apparently didn't get back with you.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    I've seen views lose shading like that before, but didn't check if the option was missing.

For me it is just a matter of the view is still being updated, it eventually shades in when it has finished. I've learned no ignore it mostly. In my case it is a temporary inconvienience. Unless I just need to print, then I have to sit and wait :) (about same time as solidworks would have taken to regen/save) so i don't feel bad about it
  • Options
    T_RathierT_Rathier Member Posts: 43 EDU
    edited September 2021
    I just had the same thing happen. the view never came in shaded and the context menu item was missing when the view was placed and missing when the view was edited. My part also did not meet any of the exclusions. I had to log out and log in for the context entry to show.
  • Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 477 PRO
    Did you try control+shift+r?  I have found that fixes many of those odd problems.