Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mirroring a Mirrored Feature?

larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
Not sure how to title this post and hopefully the video explains the challenge. I was able to mirror a part twice to get the proper orientation but now need to mirror a sketch, or feature, twice to get a similar result but am stumped. Is it doable?

Thank you

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c7ac382255c4440e75bf4ef3/w/1f3e5ec88beba41434f1492d/e/4acce76f9471456354ecfedd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AJmPeMSM_4

Best Answers

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Two consecutive miiror operations are equal to the rotational operation, in your case to the rotations at 180 deg. So what you need is a circular pattern of features.
    Answer ✓
    Then you need circular part pattern for the part and circular feature pattern for the sketch - use two different features/

Answers

Answer ✓
    Two consecutive miiror operations are equal to the rotational operation, in your case to the rotations at 180 deg. So what you need is a circular pattern of features.
  • larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    edited May 2019
    Thank but a bit over my pay grade I'm afraid. I was able to mirror a part twice because it allowed for a 'new' part but the sketch is different as you've pointed out. Would a circular pattern achieve what I'm trying to do? And it would be a pattern of a feature? I'la experiment a bit but don't really grasp the concept as it relates to this document/model.

EDIT: I think this will work and maybe even for the original part. It looks like I just need to locate the axis for the pattern in the correct location to get the alignment correct.
    Answer ✓
    Then you need circular part pattern for the part and circular feature pattern for the sketch - use two different features/
  • larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    That really worked great Konstantin and opened up a whole new way to look at Onshape. Thank you very much for the help...