Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Adding Features to a Derived Part

larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
Just want to make sure I understand one function of the 'derived' feature. Let's say I have a 'main part' that other parts will be based off of. I want to keep the main part intact but want to add features to it in other part studios. I create a new part studio, 'derive' that main part in to this new part studio and can then add sketches and features to that new part studio that alter the part in the new part studio but not in the 'main part' that this part is derived from?

Configurations can be added to new features in the new part studio(s) with no effect on the original main part?

Then if the 'main part' were needed to be changed, that change would filter down to the new part studio since it was derived from that main part?

This seems to be the way it is behaving in my experiments but land mines abound in my experience with Onshape and have stepped on my share.

Is this at least one way it is intended to be used?

Thank you

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Derive makes a copy of the part and inserts it into the new part Studio any changes you make in this part Studio do not affect the original but any changes you make to the original automatically update in all of the areas it was derived to

It is a one-way communication
    How come I took 3 paragraphs to say the same thing?

Thanks John....
  • Options
    Funny thing, I watched 35 - 40 minutes of video (more than once) on the derived function and never really understood in such simple terms. Sigh...

Thanks again
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    How come I took 3 paragraphs to say the same thing?

Thanks John....
    Probably the same reason it took me 7 paragraphs yesterday lol
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Funny thing, I watched 35 - 40 minutes of video (more than once) on the derived function and never really understood in such simple terms. Sigh...

Thanks again
    It's alright, practice practice practice. ;)

Sounds like you had a pretty good experiment set up. Keep testing new things :)