Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Path Mate

Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
This mate has worked it's way to the very top of my Onshape wishlist. I've got a project stalled because I can't begin to model the mechanisms without having components following a 3-D path. I've already done it both in SW and Inventor, and feel it should be one of the basic Mates in the toolbox.

Well, I could model it, but there's no point. I want to see it working when I rotate components, and I need to know they follow the path I want them to!

Does this automatically raise a 'ticket' for this feature? Or add me to the list?

Comments

• navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @stuart_tod the fastest way to raise a ticket is to click on the question mark in the top right of the CAD workspace and then use the "feedback" link in the dropdown list.
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
    nav said:
    Hi @stuart_tod the fastest way to raise a ticket is to click on the question mark in the top right of the CAD workspace and then use the "feedback" link in the dropdown list.
    Thanks, Nav - I've just added feedback as you described.

Anyone else want a Path Mate? (and, I presume, the ability to draw paths/splines in 3-D...)

Stuart
  • dennis_20dennis_20 Member Posts: 87 EDU
    Path/cam mates are vital to mechanical design.  I know this is on the to-do list for OnShape, but only they and the great engineer above know when it might be implemented.

OnShape, please add me to list of those wanting this capability!
  • anton_kalisiakanton_kalisiak Member Posts: 5 PRO
    I am going to assume that there hasn't been any progress on this since the last post was in 2015, 2019 right now FYI.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    @anton_kalisiak tangent mate was added to simulate cams. Path mates are something completely different. Please create or vote on an improvement request in the category on the right. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • anton_kalisiakanton_kalisiak Member Posts: 5 PRO
    edited May 2019
    I am definitely interested in the path mate, tangent mate while useful does have it's shortcomings.  (no offense) Unfortunately I'm not really interested in helping to develop or suggest new features.  I would rather it work or be available, I did a search through some feature scripts to now avail and then came here, that's all the effort I really want to devote to a CAD program other than the work that needs to be completed within it.  The answer isn't here or developed yet so it is what it is.
  • kevin_elliottkevin_elliott Member Posts: 7 PRO
    I'm not sure if this gets what you'd want, but the Mine cart example perhaps points the way: Could one create a solid/surface with the intended path, insert it into the assembly & use the tangent mate to have the part follow the path? The surface/solid could then be hidden for visual effect.

A workaround, for sure but maybe no more work than it would be with a path mate.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    @kevin_elliott yea, you can do that also. I do consider these to be workarounds and would like a true path mate eventually. But in the mean time I can help point you in the direction of the workarounds.

Here is a similar example to inserting surfaces as paths, and how powerful even a workaround can be
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10484/rubiks-cube-mate-animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTeEhbCPzo
  • kevin_elliottkevin_elliott Member Posts: 7 PRO
    @kevin_elliott yea, you can do that also. I do consider these to be workarounds and would like a true path mate eventually. But in the mean time I can help point you in the direction of the workarounds.

Here is a similar example to inserting surfaces as paths, and how powerful even a workaround can be
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10484/rubiks-cube-mate-animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTeEhbCPzo
    Impressive!! Can't believe he only had 6 likes on Youtube...
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Hah, now that you mention it, it just went up to 12 likes  :D
    Thanks  ;)