Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Part/Assembly/Drawing/File Number tracking

c_harshac_harsha Member Posts: 15 PRO
Hi,

Is there a system in Onshape (professional subscription), where I can see what are assigned part (or assmebly, drawing, file) numbers already, so when assigning new part numbers I don't accidently same number?

Generally I use part number search engine to check what part numbers I have already alloctaed. But recently I have found that, this kind of search doesn't show parts that have configurations (thus thier 'part number property' varies) aren't being shown. Is there any workaround in Onshape that shows all the list of parts and only released items?

Thank you

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • c_harshac_harsha Member Posts: 15 PRO
    edited May 2019
    @MBartlett21

yes, I use release management and the part numbering system of Onshape.

However in our company, there is a change in one of the digits of part number for standard parts (and these are not revision managed), so they are differentiated from other manufactured parts. Hence, I manually assign part numbers to this category of parts. This is the reason why I am looking for any tracking tool on Onshape.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @c_harsha
    There does not seem to be a way to track part numbers including configurations
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I've also been asking for better visibility into part numbers that are used. Even having part numbers show up in search results would be a step in the right direction, for me. In general, it would be good to have ways to see what part numbers are issued, what are released, what revision they're at, where they're used, etc. All of that information is in the system in various places, now we just need visibility to it!

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10398/list-part-numbers-in-search-results#latest
  • c_harshac_harsha Member Posts: 15 PRO
    edited May 2019
    @tim_hess427

Generally when you search using an identifier like <<P9*>>, in search using part number, the serach results in entities that has part number starting with P9. And when you click on the thumbnail, the details panel shows the part number of the part. I keep track of my part numbers in this way. However few days ago, I have found that parts with different configurations are not shown in this seach criteria. So, I went back to my old method of using excel sheet to keep track of parts.   

Also in our company, we have different series of parts like P4 series, P6 series and the same with assemblies like A1, A2, etc. So, it will be great edition to Onshape tool if they could add something in search that shows all part numbers issued and which have been released and which are not.