Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Smart Features

Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
Features that are automatically suggested based on what is selected in the model. After selecting qualifying geometry an arrow will appear that can be manipulated to start the suggested command. Suggested commands will be highlighted on the toolbar when qualifying geometry has been selected. If multiple commands are available they can be cycled through using the Tab key until the desired command is selected.
Examples:
  • Extrude: Select a sketch region or face of an existing part
  • Revolve: Same as extrude but also selecting an edge, line, or mate connector for an axis
  • Fillet/Chamfer: Selecting an existing edge of a part
  • Sweep: Selecting a face or sketch region and a path
  • Loft: Selecting multiple detached faces or sketch regions
  • Draft: Selecting multiple faces of an existing part
There are probably more that could be made
Tagged:

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Cris_Bowers This is one of those behavior type features that is not going to be easy to deliver in one feature.  I will leave this in product feedback for more discussion.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    @Cris_Bowers selecting an edge and right-clicking will give you the options to fillet or chamfer which is some way towards what you are asking for.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    @lougallo No problem. I wasn't sure where the right place was.

This arose from another users comments about creating a part in Onshape being more complicated than in their preferred CAD system. So I watched a video on that system, because I'd never heard of it, and it was neat to see how fast and intuitive that approach was.  One of the other cool things I saw in one of the videos is that selecting an edge of a sheet metal model popped in an arrow that allowed you to create a flange when it was manipulated.

@NeilCooke I wasn't aware of that one. I did poke around in the right click menu when selecting a face prior to making my post. I saw that both extrude and revolve were available when doing that. So it appears that some of this functionality is on the cusp of already being there. Basically all that is needed is for the arrow to appear. I know it's probably more complicated than that in reality, but maybe it's just a few lines of code.

I suppose another thing to consider is it would need to know if the intention is to modify an existing feature or create a new one.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited May 2019

I suppose another thing to consider is it would need to know if the intention is to modify an existing feature or create a new one.
    This could open the existing feature dialogue while you stop push/pulling. Honestly Push/Pull stuff is cool, but it's practically an entire paradigm shift from the sketch/extrude system Onshape is based on.

It would be nice to have both methods available, but may add to some confusing and feature bloat

Too many options can be worse than not enough options... eh.. well.. for beginners learning at least...
    Here is an example of what I'm thinking:
    When a face or sketch region is selected in the graphics area the recommended command, in this case extrude, is highlighted on the toolbar and the arrow for the command is preloaded into the graphics area, perhaps with an additional indicator of the recommended command next to the arrow so you don't really need to take your eyes off your model. Then only if the arrow is manipulated will the extrude command start. So it's really just a faster way to begin specific commands based on what is selected. Imagine now that I have also selected an edge of this sketch and it recognizes that as the requirements for revolve and that is what is highlighted on the toolbar and presented next to the arrow instead.

• PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea. Have worked with in other programs.
    Brings things to the forefront as seen in the picture above. Could be icons like shown with more icons to the right at the location your mouse pointer is at saving hunting through command icons at top of screen. A productivity enhancement for all users and for beginners a quick way in.
    What's of value at the moment!
    I'd like to see this moved to IR list. Would get my vote.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    The problem comes to what features to you add to the hot list.

Clicking a face could potentially mean almost every command on the toolbar.

incliding, mirror plane split fillet chamfer.. etc etc
    I think really just the major modeling features that I mentioned in the original post.