Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can’t snap to mesh of imported STL?

jim_klojim_klo Member Posts: 1
I understand there’s no support for editing STL’s. However I thought that I should still be able to snap to edges and vertices when sketching new objects. I found this feature referenced in several places however, so far I’ve not been able to reference any surface, edge, or vertex on an mesh that was generated from an imported STL. What’s the point of being able to import if you can’t even accurately “trace” the imported object in order to either recreate or design parts to mate? Or is this just a bug in the current version, as I have seed videos of people being able to reference and snap to the imported stl for inserting planes and vertices. 

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    You should be able to reference your mesh. Do you have a link to your document so we can have a look?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    You can only snap to objects that belong to the sketch plane. Draw the approximate shape then press the coincident constraint button and click each sketch point and corresponding mesh vertex in turn. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    3D curves will attach to meshes, make sure their tangency is positional.