Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Duplicate Sketch or Entities with SAME Coordinates

3Dzyner3Dzyner Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
This has been requested for years now, When will you simply place sketch entities copied from one sketch to another, without dropping them in a random position? This is surely a simple, simple feature improvement?

Comments

• brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Something like AutoCAD blocks would be nice (it's been a few years so AutoCAD May have changed functionality); i.e. select an insertion point on the copied sketch entities then pick the matching insertion point when pasting. 
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @3Dzyner Can you describe the request a bit more.  I understand what you mean by block functions but when you duplicate  by selecting in an active sketch and then pasting in that same sketch, we place you directly into a precision transform.  If you were to place these on top you can drag them to be on top.  However if you copy and paste from outside a sketch or on a different place, are you asking them to be an exact location? 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Moving over to product feedback
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    edited June 2019
    Yes, something like an option to 'paste in place' which will place the sketch copy in the same relative location as its copied position avoiding having to 'precision drag it in to position. Especially useful when deriving a sketch from one part studio to another. Currently that copied sketch just lands somewhere in the work space instead of being pasted to the same location it was copied from.

I keep thinking I'm missing a feature as I try and 'precision transform drag' the copied sketch in to its exact location.

Super simple case but I would like to 'paste' the copied sketch in the exact location it was copied from. Precision transform/moving seems imprecise at best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbUK3uieCcI
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    lougallo said:
    Where is that?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    lougallo said:
    Where is that?
    The category that this post is in
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI