Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Linear Pattern (LP) - Operates Unexpected

robert_melascagliarobert_melascaglia Member Posts: 42 EDU
I have a slight problem as shown below in the snip..

I can add a formula via Variables defined to one of the LP inputs; but not the one that says 7x.  I have this as the "NunSteps" but the LP function keeps removing it and remains with the hard--coded value.

The other LP input "14.2857" is accepting the Variable as defined; so what gives?  Thanks for the assistance.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    Hi @robert_melascaglia - this is not a bug. It is blocked on purpose for this reason: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/30219#Comment_30219
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited June 2019
    NeilCooke said:
    Hi @robert_melascaglia - this is not a bug. It is blocked on purpose for this reason: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/30219#Comment_30219
    Yeah, but the thing is it isn't blocked. 

(a) Sketch pattern instances accept variables as inputs just fine.
    (b) The instance field, in a recent update, even presents your variables in a pick list!!
    (c) The pattern generates correctly with the specified qty, it just doesn't recognise when the variable is changed.

"Blocked" is a big red warning splash screen that states "Variables are not supported in sketch patterns" if you try it, and that does not let you continue. 
    As it stands it's dangerous, as it seems to work, right up until it doesn't.
    Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    robert_melascagliarobert_melascaglia Member Posts: 42 EDU
    Okay, thanks for the information.  I suppose a "manual" in lieu of a "fully automatic" is warranted.