Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Importing 3D DWG to Onshape

daniel_cookdaniel_cook Member Posts: 48 PRO
Hi all,

A client has sent me a 3D DWG - can open in a DWG viewer and it rotates, etc so it's drawn in 3D. I am not sure if it was actually from a parametric 3D software or just drawn in 3D. Is there a way to tell, and then is there a way to convert it for importing into Onshape?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• daniel_cookdaniel_cook Member Posts: 48 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    Hi @daniel_cook - 3D DWG is not supported, but your client should be able to export in ACIS format (*.sat) and that should work fine.
    Thanks Neil - unfortunately it's not an option for me to ask them but I have colleagues who run Autodesk so I'll just hand ball it to them!
  • joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    Daniel

You could also consider this solution for DWG 3D information.  Graebert has a DWG solution in our App Store for situations like this:

https://appstore.onshape.com/apps/Design/A6WITSUWP2GZQN5BX6HHCM2TNBVBEDABC34MIUY=/description
    Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • jacques_spillmannjacques_spillmann OS Professional Posts: 49 PRO
    @joe_dunne I cannot figure out how to export 3d dwg from ARES into Onshape to use as solids in Onshape. I have reached out to ARES but ultimately I don't think it is possibe to do this. Which begs the question, when (and why) is Onshape unable to natively convert 3d DWG the same way you can import step, x_t, etc.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Well .x_t is native to the modelling kernel used, and step is probably the most common file format designed specifically to share between systems, but 3d DWG is propriety I believe so I'd image that would be further down the list.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @jacques_spillmann are you able to export in ACIS (.SAT) format?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • jacques_spillmannjacques_spillmann OS Professional Posts: 49 PRO
    no, because I'm not the one creating the 3D DWG in the first place, it's files I download and that are not available in any other format. These 3D DWG files, or even BIM files are used in the Architectural world, usually in conjunction with Autocad.