Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Default Material Properties

thiagomarinho84thiagomarinho84 Member Posts: 5
During early stage designs i typically have several parts made with different materials and just want to get a quick mass estimate, evaluate equilibrium and rough passes. Whenever I try to calculate mass properties for a part that has no material the tool yields no results, not even in volume.

For my purposes it would be great to have a default material property (configurable or fixed to a specific mass of 1 ton/m³). This way i could set my major components to the correct material, leave the eletronics alone and calculate a quick ratio for specific components with known materials. This would make the iterative design process way faster eliminating the need to use the slow onshape UI to define material for every single part that are just block representations of the final products still to be detailed.

Comments

• thomas_miglincithomas_miglinci Member Posts: 34 ✭✭✭
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Setting material is not slow at all.

You can set the material of multiple parts at once.
    You can choose your material by typing the name and it will narrow the list down quickly.

Or You can create a custom feature and have it sit at the bottom of the tree that grabs all parts in the studio and sets their material to a default.
    Any material you set manually in the part studio will override the custom feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8LbJXmLz78
  • thiagomarinho84thiagomarinho84 Member Posts: 5
    I find it slow If i need to pick part by part that have the same material in a 100 part list.
  • thiagomarinho84thiagomarinho84 Member Posts: 5
    My issue is not with filtering the material I want, I would just like to have a default material with density 1 So i need have to go through the material picking process just to get the CG position. Or just have the Mass property calculator assume density = 1 when theres no material assigned