Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Having difficulty exporting all entities

DantechDantech Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
Been trying to figure this out for a few hours now and getting real frustrated. I drew this in OnShape in order to export it as a DXF so that I can make a decal from it. My problem is that when I export it, not all entities are included in the DXF drawing. The picture above shows the items missing. ( The "F", the middle of the 3 "A's", the middle of the "R", and the middle of the "D".)
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you

Comments

• DantechDantech Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    This is what I end up with when I try to open the exported DXF.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Can you try right clicking on the sketch in the feature tree and exporting from there?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Can you try right clicking on the sketch in the feature tree and exporting from there?
    Nope, still no luck ! 

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    I was able to export the sketch on mobile and re-import it back in no problem. 

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    I exported as DXF v11 (the default)
    I must have something clicked off somewhere because when I export I still don't get the entities mentioned above.
    If you export (store to tab) then import it back into a sketch, does that work? 
    NeilCooke said:
    If you export (store to tab) then import it back into a sketch, does that work? 
    Thanks for your help Neil, but I dont use this program everyday and I have no official CAD training. I have no idea what you mean by "store to tab". I have tried everything and I had to resort to taking a screen shot and sving it as a Jpeg in paint. I was then able to open this in my decal program and get it cut. Even though I got the part made, I would still like to know what I was doing wrong.
    Store to tab is in the export dialog. See the help docs for all info. Glad you got your part made. 
    Tried storing to TAB, but same problem. I give up because I don't know what the #$%^ is going on. Should be an easy solution. 
    edited July 2019
    It is. Works for me from your document. I asked to try re-importing into a sketch in Onshape to rule out DraftSight getting it wrong. 

This does need a resolution though. Could you create a video of the steps you are taking?
    edited July 2019
    Share your document to ncooke@onshape.com so I can take a closer look. With edit permissions. 
    NeilCooke said:
    It is. Works for me from your document. I asked to try re-importing into a sketch in Onshape to rule out DraftSight getting it wrong. 

This does need a resolution though. Could you create a video of the steps you are taking?
    OK, I will try and figure out how to make a video. You are giving me way too much credit, as I'm not very efficient when it comes to computer programs. As far as it being a Draftsight issue, I'm getting the same results from 3 different programs I try and open the DXF in. I'm doing something wrong in Onshape. Give me a day or so and I will try and post a video. Thanks again for all your help.
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    @Dantech It looks like you have an AdBlocker running in Chrome.  They can potentially interfere.  To check that, can you perform your export with an incognito session in Chrome?  Incognito by default will run with all browser extensions disabled (unless you have enabled them for incognito sessions).  You can also disable each extension and try in a normal session in Chrome.  If the export works, you can enable the extensions one at a time and try the export at each step so you know which one is the offending one.  Usually extensions have a way to white list domains so that they don't interfere.  Let us know if that might be the issue here.  The fact that @NeilCooke can export your design as a DXF and not see the issue while you do, is hinting at something local on your end is interfering.  
    edited July 2019
    Well I tried for the past hour to try and figure out how to make a video but had no luck. I tried exporting with AdBlocker off but it makes no difference.
    The problem is in OnShape. Even when I right click on my drawing to save it as a DXF, you can see the "F" and the other items I mentioned above are NOT highlighted. I need to know how to highlight all items in my drawing and THEN export as DXF. Hope this makes sense.

Edit; here's a screen shot of where I'm ready to click "export as DXF". You can clearly see the items that are not highlighted. If I try and highlight the complete drawing the right click, I dot have the ability to export as DXF.

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    @Dantech I created a ticket for you so that Onshape support can look at this more closely.  It's possible another extension is interfering.  
    OK, let's try this. Hopefully you can figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    https://youtu.be/3pk3NecfIfU
  • jon_sorrellsjon_sorrells Onshape Employees Posts: 51
    Right click on the sketch in the feature list to export the entire sketch.
    When you export from the graphics area it's only exporting the one face you clicked on.
    Right click on the sketch in the feature list to export the entire sketch.
    When you export from the graphics area it's only exporting the one face you clicked on.
    Wow !! Are you kidding me? It was that easy ?? Thank you so much to all that helped. I knew I was doing something stupid.