Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Union Boolean isn't working in my situation

clément_vannouqueclément_vannouque Member Posts: 8
Hello,

I'm having difficulties to use the Boolean Union method to merge all my subparts (around 380)

The error returned error is "Boolean failed to return a valid part"

I'vre read some articles and the main reason is mainly intersection problem when parts doens't share enough intersection "space"

The thing here is that all my pieces are sharing more than enough "space", which is why I don't understand the error 

You can have a look at a copy of the workspace right here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f044a9b9311e3cf726a1376d/w/f62aeda3598688720ae8944a/e/c7cbd9361d989f5c25268332

Any help to understand the problem is more than welcome, thanks !

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited July 2019
    It would be helpful to have a link to the actual doc.  The read only link you have in your post doesn't allow us to edit anything for you.  (If you just copy the url directly from the top of your browser that would be better.  At first glance your outer row doesn't touch then next row in.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    If you try merging smaller subset, Boolean is actually showing where the issues are. In this case edges at the bottom of this gap are touching, but the rest of the side faces don't

Would hollowing a ball, cutting out one rectangle and patterning faces of that cut give you a satisfactory geometry? I started working on it here.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f6fdc3e4e4b202d4ceeff50f/w/de1b2a7e647c5e8308e47503/e/8af5d6e69ad8ffb03161c84a
    The face pattern would work faster than multi body merge.
  • clément_vannouqueclément_vannouque Member Posts: 8
    It would be helpful to have a link to the actual doc.  The read only link you have in your post doesn't allow us to edit anything for you.  (If you just copy the url directly from the top of your browser that would be better.  At first glance your outer row doesn't touch then next row in.

Hi,

Thanks for you answer !

Sorry for that, I made sure the document went public so you can make a copy :( 

Here's the link : https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f044a9b9311e3cf726a1376d/w/f62aeda3598688720ae8944a/e/c7cbd9361d989f5c25268332

I tried to fill the gaps by increasing my main pattern (Sketch LED PATTERN) size (from 11*11mm to 12*12mm) but I still had issues. I tweaked the height a little bit with the same result
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    OMG - please step away from the computer! :)

This would choke any Brep modeller because of the sliver faces, knife edges and non-manifold topology.
    Regardless of whether you are looking for a faceted result or a smooth sphere with openings, this is not how you would do it.
    If you would disambiguate which result you were looking for, I am sure that someone here would love to show you a better way :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
    lana said:
    If you try merging smaller subset, Boolean is actually showing where the issues are. In this case edges at the bottom of this gap are touching, but the rest of the side faces don't

Would hollowing a ball, cutting out one rectangle and patterning faces of that cut give you a satisfactory geometry? I started working on it here.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f6fdc3e4e4b202d4ceeff50f/w/de1b2a7e647c5e8308e47503/e/8af5d6e69ad8ffb03161c84a
    The face pattern would work faster than multi body merge.

Hey,

Thanks for you idea! The alignment is still not exactly what I need but I'll give it a try and let you know asap :) 
    OMG - please step away from the computer! :)

This would choke any Brep modeller because of the sliver faces, knife edges and non-manifold topology.
    Regardless of whether you are looking for a faceted result or a smooth sphere with openings, this is not how you would do it.
    If you would disambiguate which result you were looking for, I am sure that someone here would love to show you a better way :)

Hello,

Yes well lana helped me realised that..

Hollowing a sphere was a much better idea, problem solved thanks !