Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Chamfer dimension options in drawing don't match chamfer creation option in model

brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
Why can we not dimension chamfers the same way they are created? If I model an "equal distance" chamfer, I probably want an equal distance chamfer dimension on the drawing as well. That is not one of the options on the drawing. In fact, on a drawing the chamfer callout style is global. Meaning you cannot have one chamfer called out as angle by distance and another called out as equal distance or distance by distance. This may be minor, but I think the methods available in drawings should match the methods available when creating a model and each chamfer should be allowed to have different methods.

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited July 2019
    That would be cool if it did recognize the intended chamfer style. 
    But you can always hard dimension it without the chamfer dim tool ;)

This would require the modeler to always chamfer with the chamfer feature instead of in the sketch. As the tool will not be able to recognize what part of the sketch was intended to be a chamfer, nor will it be able to decipher what the modeler intended.
    (even if it was able to detect which dims are connected to it in a sketch and make a judgement call. Let's say it saw 1 angle dim and 1 linear dim, who's to say there aren't additional angle dims that are attached to it to constrain another part of the sketch?)

Unfortunately, the chamfer tool in Onshape's part studio is not reliable in all situations. For example, Sheet-metal with chamfers and fillets. Onshape will not even let you model this (last I checked) unless you make the chamfer with a sketch/extrude.

In fact the drawing chamfer dim tool doesn't actually know what a chamfer is.
    It is just a short hand for giving two dimensions at once.
    Which is why you have to select  two intersecting lines, rather than just clicking the chamfer like you can a fillet.

I think I would rather see tolerances in model sketch dims that can be pushed into the drawing. Hopefully once we have that, they will be half way there to code this up too. ;)
  • Options
    PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Nope,
    still not implemented

• Options
    PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    I did not take it that far.
    Looks like it should be able to work. But no.

An ER maybe to ask for this. 
  • Options
    I've had a support ticket for this for over a year, they consider it a bug. It doesn't stop me from getting work done, I just cannot use the chamfer tool on sheet-metal is all.

My point in this thread was just saying, there are other fixes that will need to happen first, so I wouldn't expect this for a long while :wink:
    I would like to see this also, just won't get my hopes up :)