Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

"Copy with Mates" Option? Replicate?

Michael_CoffeeMichael_Coffee Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
Maybe I'm thinking about this too hard and the answer is staring at me in the face. I don't know, so here I am.

I have a configured panel that is used multiple times along the side of something and they're bolted to each other (think planks of wood side by side to each other for the same visual). I could easily create this with a linear pattern, but the problem is that each instance of the panel could be swapped out with a different panel. Say I have seven panels in a row, and the third panel needs to change because of an altered hole arrangement. With linear pattern, I can't just do that, and I don't see any option to "dissolve" a pattern. In SolidWorks, you can create a pattern, dissolve it, and have the parts remain, but no mates between them. Just floating pieces until you move them. For my situation, I need both the series of panels and the mates between them. Once that's established, I can change configurations all day and it won't move from that arrangement.

I tried using Replicate, but I'm not sure if I'm using it in the manner it was intended to be used. For example, I am not sure if I have to have two separate parts, or maybe I'm choosing the wrong option in it. I have used "Copy With Mates" in SolidWorks more times than I can count and it serves the exact purpose I need, but I'm at a loss of how to get there. If there isn't a straight forward method of doing that, I can simple copy each panel and mate manually, but that's the long way around.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Michael_CoffeeMichael_Coffee Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    I think it's probably just bad timing then that I'm dealing with almost exclusively slots =P When I tried replicate, it was always to a slot. I went to a different assembly, with hardware mated to circles, and it worked just as I wanted it to.

Since I only have slot geometry to work with, can I "dissolve" patterns like in SolidWorks? That would be my last ditch option before doing it manually.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    edited July 2019
    Not that i'm aware of. But if you have to mate them after dissolve anyway, there isn't mich point.  Just copy paste a part (ctrl-c  ctrl-v) it will maintain mates and mate connector hidden state when you copy.

Then you can quickly mate them all up with shift-enter after each mate to repeat command.

That's what I do for my spiral chutes, you can mate up 100 parts in 5 minutes without patterns

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    What is the reason for limiting 'Replicate' (replicate part instance in assembly) to parts with ONE mate?  If I'm putting a collection of fasteners (e.g. flat washer, split lock washer, and screw) into a pattern of holes that seems to require an awful lot of mouse clicks:

When I used to work in SolidWorks I greatly appreciated the 'Pattern Driven' and 'Feature Driven' patterns tools.  I really don't want to create a subassembly of screw/lock washer/flat washer.  You just place one instance of each item into the assembly and then pattern the seed components to the appropriate hole feature.

Are there any tricks or workflows for accomplishing this task efficiently in Onshape?
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO