Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Off topic...convert non native CAD data into editable Onshape models(documents)

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
Having a lot of legacy CAD models, assemblies, and drawings from another CAD system, I wanted to know if there was a service out there that converts CAD data from other systems into Onshape models (documents) with editable features or a software out there similar to FeatureWorks in solidworks ( but works way better ) that would convert a model into editable Onshape features and have a feature tree?

I know you can import other non native CAD models into Onshape and use direct editing commands to modify this data if needed, but I would like to see a full conversion where I have an editable feature tree.

Thank you
Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Comments

• sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    I've found this video on YouTube by accident. I don't have SOLIDWORKS myself but this may help you.

SOLIDWORKS®–Onshape Translator
    AMC Bridge

https://youtu.be/pwEZ5pJL3eo

• bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @sebastian_glanzner. Now to see if they can convert Solid Edge files.
    Bryan Lagrange

• sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    @NeilCooke
    It would be a great addition to have such converters on the Onshape App Store. 
    I'd like to see one for Autodesk Inventor  B)
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited August 2019
    I talked to AMC bridge, that onshape solidworks converter is a demo of thier capabilities, and is not for sale. Rather they want to charge you to develop it.  :(
    Just think of the amount of people that would migrate if a converter like this did exist.
    Bryan Lagrange

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Ikr, i told them to look into a per use or monthly sub in the app store, there would be a high demand for it
    I agree
    Bryan Lagrange

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Hi bryan_lagrange,

There are services out there that do data migration for CAD, which is what I would look for if it is important to you.  One such company that I know of for data migration is Everglades Technologies (http://egladestech.com/).  They are a company that we at Onshape have partnered with for other services like software testing and content creation; they have done data migration services in the past.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com